Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Last night of MNF on ABC ?

I was surprised tonight to hear that tonight is the last night for Monday Night Football on ABC..Yeah, I know but these days I watch football with the sound muted and music playing. Much better for me than listening to those announcers..So, who is taking over Monday Night Football next year? If anybody.. :)

ESPN will be doing MNF, ESPN and ABC are owned by the same company so there's really not a huge difference there.

NBC will be doing Sunday Night football starting next season.

Then there's no big difference then..I'm a little confused as to why ABC made such a big deal out of this being the last MNF game on ABC..

Then there's no big difference then..I'm a little confused as to why ABC made such a big deal out of this being the last MNF game on ABC..

There may not be much of a difference in the coverage but MNF had been on ABC for 36 years so I can understand why they would make a big deal out of it leaving the main network.

I'm gonna miss MNF on NBC. I also heard on a Football program (Can't recall if it was Inside the NFL or Total Access) that the NBC thing will incorporate "Flex Scheduling". If a game scheduled for the Prime spot is expected to be a Toilet Bowl (For example, if it were this upcoming week's royal rumble for Reggie between the Texans and the 49ers), then NBC could try and get a game that actually mattered.

It's the end of an era, even though they are owned by the same company and even though there will still be football on Monday night it won't be "Monday Night Football". My hope is that they still use Hank, Jr. for the opening.

I'm gonna miss MNF on NBC. I also heard on a Football program (Can't recall if it was Inside the NFL or Total Access) that the NBC thing will incorporate "Flex Scheduling". If a game scheduled for the Prime spot is expected to be a Toilet Bowl (For example, if it were this upcoming week's royal rumble for Reggie between the Texans and the 49ers), then NBC could try and get a game that actually mattered.

From all that I've read and heard (which may be out dated) the NFL isn't going to allow any kind of game switching. Fox and CBS would throw major fits if their top game was taken away from them and given to NBC or ESPN for their Sunday Night or Monday night packages, not to mention the major problems it would cause for fans that have tickets for a Sunday afternoon game and all of the sudden the game becomes a Monday night game. I just don't see that working at all.

I do look forward to the possibility of a Thursday Night package, that would work perfectly on the NFL Network and it would basically force cable companies around the country to pick the network up.

I think its a mistake for ABC to let MNF go onto ESPN, even though its the Same Company that owns them (Disney) when the game on ABC th can promote their other shows to help the ratings, I think this move is gonna hurt ABC and I would put my money on it that it will be back on there once this current deal is up, I heard that a Thursday night game package might be picked up by TBS or TNT because he NFL network is not a popular channel and some of the owners don't want to lose money on having the games on a channel where they wont get the viewers or advertising dollars

It kind of surprised me to see that MNF was not going to be on ABC anymore, but hey if it is on ESPN then it still should be ok.

I think its a mistake for ABC to let MNF go onto ESPN, even though its the Same Company that owns them (Disney) when the game on ABC th can promote their other shows to help the ratings, I think this move is gonna hurt ABC and I would put my money on it that it will be back on there once this current deal is up, I heard that a Thursday night game package might be picked up by TBS or TNT because he NFL network is not a popular channel and some of the owners don't want to lose money on having the games on a channel where they wont get the viewers or advertising dollars

Exactly, just ask CBS and NBC. Both of them got rid of their NFL packages and both despeartely wanted them back when they really started losing money.

I really think its a bad idea. What once was free to the public now you have pay to watch a football game on TV. What a shame.

It was going to happen sooner or later.

I thought it would happen back in the 90's, to be honest. I'm surprised it took this long.

MNF is now a "pay" event, more or less.

Eventually, the Superbowl will become a PPV event as well.

It's sad.

:)

No, I don't think it will. The NFL knows which side of the bread it's butter is on and I think they're smart enough to know that they can't move away from the mass market.

They will do things like the NFL Sunday Ticket (which I pay $250 per year for) and make money that way but they will always have the bulk of the games as well as all of the playoffs and Super Bowl on network TV.

There really isn't a huge change taking place, ESPN has had a package for about 15 years now. It's just switching nights from Sunday night to Monday night.