Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

R.I.P. VINCENT SCHIAVELLI

Updated: 12:41 PM EST

Character Actor Vincent Schiavelli Dies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROME (Dec. 26) - Character actor Vincent Schiavelli, who appeared in scores of movies, including "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "Ghost," died Monday at his home in Sicily. He was 57.

He died of lung cancer, said Salvatore Glorioso, mayor of Polizzi Generosa, the Sicilian village where Schiavelli resided.

Schiavelli, whose gloomy, droopy-eyed look made him perfect to play creepy or eccentric characters, made appearances in some 150 film and television productions, according to the Internet Movie Database.

Among the movies: "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," "Amadeus," "Batman Returns," and "The People vs. Larry Flint." He was selected in 1997 by Vanity Fair as one of America's best character actors.

Schiavelli, who was born and raised in New York, studied acting at New York University's School of the Arts.

He also wrote three cookbooks and many food articles for magazines and newspapers, possibly inheriting his love for cooking from his grandfather, who had been a cook for an Italian baron before moving to the United States, according to IMDB.

Always a Scene-Stealer

Having trouble placing Schiavelli? Here's some help:

'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest':

Who He Played: Asylum inmate Fredrickson

'Fast Times at Ridgemont High':

Who He Played: Sanka-drinking science teacher Mr. Vargas

'Ghost':

Who He Played: The nasty spirit in the subways

Sources: IMDB.com

"He was a great friend, a great chef and a great talker," Glorioso, who has known Schiavelli for almost four years, said in a telephone interview.

"With a smooth, witty conversation, he would make everything look more colorful. I've lost a brother," he said.

Schiavelli also had worked in Italy, including in 2001 when he directed a theater piece in Sicily based on nine fables.

A funeral service will be held Tuesday in Polizzi Generosa, Glorioso said.

12/26/05 11:53 EST

Of Course for Trek fans, he is best remembered as the pitchman in the TNG 1st Season episode "The Arsenal Of Freedom". Schiavelli was a great actor. He popped up in many movies and TV shows. I have always enjoyed his performances.

He was a great actor and R.I.P Vincent. Last week on the 18th my dad passed away he was 60 and we use to watch TOS together when I was a kid may they both R.I.P.

Brian

He was a great actor and R.I.P Vincent. Last week on the 18th my dad passed away he was 60 and we use to watch TOS together when I was a kid may they both R.I.P.

Brian

My deepest sympathy on your father's passing, Zipkirk