Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

3...2...1...1...Happy New Year?

3...2...1...1...Happy New Year?

December 23, 2005

By KOMO Staff & News Services leap_second_122305.jpg

WASHINGTON, D.C. - 2006 has been postponed. But not for long. A leap second will be inserted in the world's clocks just before midnight - Greenwich mean time - on New Year's Eve, the U.S. Naval Observatory reported Friday. That means Jan. 1, 2006 will occur one second later than it would have otherwise. Leap seconds are needed occasionally because modern atomic clocks measure time with great accuracy, while the rotation of the Earth can be inconsistent. The rotation of the Earth is and has been continuing to slow down ever so slightly, so leap seconds keep the clocks and the Earth from getting out of synch with one another. This will be the 23rd leap second that has been inserted since 1972 when an international timekeeping agreement was signed, according to the Observatory. The last one was inserted seven years ago.

Wow... new to me!

Edited by Capt_Picard

I didn't know that! So it's a leap year, next year? :P :)

No, Leap Years are every 4 years because it actually takes 365.25 days for the Earth to orbit the Sun, so every 4 years (the last being 04) we get Feb 29. Any year with a Summer Olympics or a U.S. Presidential election is a leap year.

I didn't know that! So it's a leap year, next year? :) :)

No, Leap Years are every 4 years because it actually takes 365.25 days for the Earth to orbit the Sun, so every 4 years (the last being 04) we get Feb 29. Any year with a Summer Olympics or a U.S. Presidential election is a leap year.

So the next will be 2008? Hey, my lecturer said we have to give our projects in on the 30th Feb. There is no 30th! :P

Makes one wonder why we don't use a better system.

It's been a long time and I don't recall the exact name of the calendar used by the ancient Mayans, but it was supposedly the most accurate calendar ever created.

I don't care for leap years or daylight savings time.

Unfortunately, the Mayan calendar runs out in 2012 and some really bad stuff is supposed to happen then..........

Unfortunately, the Mayan calendar runs out in 2012 and some really bad stuff is supposed to happen then..........

Oh yeah, I forgot about the end of the world.

I've got to jot that down and make sure I have nothing planned for that year.

Should be fun.

:)

::writes down on a notepad:: Note to self...Make sure to flirt with every girl in 2011 just in case 2012 is the end...

everyone's invited to my place in 2012 for its the end of the world party or happy new year 2013 which ever happens first.

tm :)

And you just KNOW they did that to get an extra day of campaigning in. :)

Um...I don't think so. Campaigning usually starts in the summer after the conventions, so they really don't get an extra day. But it makes sense that every term will contiain at least one February 29th.

Um...I don't think so. Campaigning usually starts in the summer after the conventions, so they really don't get an extra day. But it makes sense that every term will contiain at least one February 29th.

It's called a joke.