Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

My girlfriend got me a Star Trek III glass

trekglasses1ti.th.jpg

It's the one in the middle, between the two I got at the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas a few years ago. The Generations and Insurrection DVDs behind the glasses are mainly there as a size reference.

On the front, it's got three pictures of Spock in various stages of development: in the middle, fully grown, to the left, as a teenager, and to the right, as a child as David and Savik find him, with SPOCK LIVES under it. On the back, the title, "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock", the header SPOCK LIVES (in smaller text), followed by the text "Through the wonders of the Genesis effect, the lifeless body of Captain Spock evolves from an infant to a grown man in a matter of days." Picture of Spock's torpedo tube below that, then the copyright info... it's got what appears to be a radar on one side, and TACO BELL on the other. I guess in the 1980s, you could get cool stuff at Taco Bell when they had promotions.

She got it at a thrift store... so it's used, but it's in very good condition. I love it. :laugh: :P

I remember collecting all of those Taco Bell glasses back then when the movie came out. I believe there were a total of 4 different glasses. I had to eat a lot of burritos to get them..... :laugh:

Your girlfriend obviously knows you well, nice gift. I like Star Trek Experience one.

I remember collecting all of those Taco Bell glasses back then when the movie came out. I believe there were a total of 4 different glasses. I had to eat a lot of burritos to get them..... :laugh:

What'd you have to do to get a glass? Fill out a punch card or something? You don't want to know how many burritos I'd eat for glasses from II or IV. If the fourth were from I or V I wouldn't bother... maybe for VI but it would depend on what it looked like... but II, III, and IV were my favorite "Kirk" movies in Trek.

:P

What'd you have to do to get a glass? Fill out a punch card or something? You don't want to know how many burritos I'd eat for glasses from II or IV. If the fourth were from I or V I wouldn't bother... maybe for VI but it would depend on what it looked like... but II, III, and IV were my favorite "Kirk" movies in Trek.

They only did the glasses for Trek 3. All you had to do was buy something and you had the opportunity to purchase a glass. I've got the whole set. They actually go for a lot of money at cons.

I have a set too but I didn't have to eat TB to get them, (not that I'd mind) a friend gave them to us as a gift. Funny thing is, I never knew where they came from till now. I got a call to make...

Well, I'm not selling mine! :laugh: Though not a TOS fan, if I had to pick a favorite overall character, it'd have to be Spock, from the movies alone. Tuvok (on Voyager) is cool, but he's nowhere near Spock. Nice try, though.

Anyone have pictures of the other three glasses? Or at least, can you tell us what the differences are?

Oh, I try to use my Trek glasses whenever I can. I do plan on getting my future children into Star Trek, but I'd rather get the most use out of my stuff than pass it along... I've got no real love for antiques and collectibles.

Jen says she got the glass for 50¢ at the thrift store, when I told her that they're valuable at the cons. She joked about selling it and turning a heck of a profit, but I told her I wouldn't sell it. It's too cool. I like my Star Trek: The Experience glass, but it's a little too tall, and I worry that the sand-letters might wash off, not to mention the tint. If I'm having a Corona or another "good" beer (which is rare... I don't really drink) I like to have it in that glass. But for juice, for day to day stuff, I just use the Spock glass.

Here's the full ST III set on eBay for $10

a1_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-the-search-f...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's another for $5

http://cgi.ebay.com/Search-For-Spock-4-Sta...1QQcmdZViewItem