Sign in to follow this  
krysis

Betazoids, are they the ultimate killing machines?

I was wondering how effective are the Betazoids in space battle. In a starship, let assume its the Akira class, with a crew of Betazoids, would you say they would make a formidable enermy? I mean they could probably read minds minds and if their tactical officers violate others minds, they would probably be able to anticipate what their enermies would want to do. What do you think?

Betazoids, IMO, don't seem like the type of aliens to go round in battles. Deanna and her mother etc are nice people.

I don't think so. Most Betazoids can only read the minds of people they're in relatively close proximity to so they wouldn't really be able to tell what enemies on another ship are thinking. I know Troi was only half Betazoid but I always thought that she was more in the way on the bridge than anything else.

I don't think so. Most Betazoids can only read the minds of people they're in relatively close proximity to so they wouldn't really be able to tell what enemies on another ship are thinking. I know Troi was only half Betazoid but I always thought that she was more in the way on the bridge than anything else.

May I ask, are you responding to my post or krysis'?

Troi wasn't in the way on the bridge at all. Picard was always asking her what people on the other ship, or down on the planet, were thinking.

I don't know about their range, but Troi could read people on other ships or down on a planet. I think she had to see them, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Betazoids had a way of channeling their psychic energy.

We don't know much about them, or at least I don't by my experience, but they seem like more of a peaceful people. It wouldn't seem that battle would be their forte.

I was responding to the original post.

As a response to your post though I'd agree that Deanna and her mother are quite nice (although I don't like Deanna at all). We don't really know enough Betazoids to be able to judge them as regards to whether they would be willing to go to war or not but my instinct says that they're not.

Most Betazoids can only read the minds of people they're in relatively close proximity to so they wouldn't really be able to tell what enemies on another ship are thinking.

Do you think it depends on whether they can see the person? Deanna could read the emotions of people on ships when they had visual communication with the ship but I can't remember her ever commenting on the emotional tone of a person or crew of another ship when communications were closed. If she could then she would have been able to tell Picard when there was a cloaked ship nearby because she would be able to feel their emotional presence.

I agree that only a few like Tan Albran would have the ability to do it but his mind was so bombarded with other's thoughts that he probably wouldn't be able to distinguish his own crew's thought from the enemy crew's quickly enough.

Do you think it depends on whether they can see the person? Deanna could read the emotions of people on ships when they had visual communication with the ship but I can't remember her ever commenting on the emotional tone of a person or crew of another ship when communications were closed. If she could then she would have been able to tell Picard when there was a cloaked ship nearby because she would be able to feel their emotional presence.

I agree that only a few like Tan Albran would have the ability to do it but his mind was so bombarded with other's thoughts that he probably wouldn't be able to distinguish his own crew's thought from the enemy crew's quickly enough.

Maybe so. It would make sense if they had to see them so they could have something direct to focus on. If all Betazoids were as powerful as Tan Albran then I'm sure it could be possible.

It made me wonder because Dearna could lock onto the cloaked Scimitar in Nemesis. Does this make Betazoids effective against cloak ships?

If they concentrate real hard, like Dearna in Nemesis, couldn't they detect enermy strategies?

It made me wonder because Dearna could lock onto the cloaked Scimitar in Nemesis. Does this make Betazoids effective against cloak ships?

If they concentrate real hard, like Dearna in Nemesis, couldn't they detect enermy strategies?

She was locking on to Viceroy's mind then, so if a betazoid were to locate a cloaked ship there would have to be a telepath onboard who's mind the betazoid is familiar with.

IMO the Betazoids could probably use their powers with weapons like the Vulcans. And if Betazoids could use their powers collectively then they could make an even powerful weapon.

She was locking on to Viceroy's mind then, so if a betazoid were to locate a cloaked ship there would have to be a telepath onboard who's mind the betazoid is familiar with.

I believe she was only able to do it because the Viceroy had previously created a telepathic link to her. If he hadn't linked to her mind earlier, I don't think she would have been able to find him them.

IMO the Betazoids could probably use their powers with weapons like the Vulcans. And if Betazoids could use their powers collectively then they could make an even powerful weapon.

About the weapons part... using their powers with weapons. I've not seen it done. Could you explain furthur?