Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Series 6 - Episodic or Serial format?

After Enterprise ends, and after a 2 or 3 year break, would you like to see the 6th series be episodic or serial? I myself enjoy both formats, but since we've only had 1 Trek series that was serialised, I'd like to see Series 6 follow the same route. Perhaps a series about a 23rd Century colony set after the beginning of Generations? This would allow for the Enterprise-B to show up a few times each season. :(

As I understand it, episodic is a new story each episode and serial is a continuing story. Am I right?

Anyway... I don't know. I kind of like the way they are now. But I think a continuing storyline might be interesting. I don't think I'd mind it. As long as the "Previously on Star Trek: Whatsitsname"s are kept short. I hate it when they last so long that the rest of the show is cut short.

A drawback to this type, though, would be that it would be bad to miss an episode. A lot can happen in one episode. People might not want to miss episodes, but it happens. Miss an episode, come back the next week, and things are totally different. It would also make it hard to show reruns. As it is now, every Trek series I see in reruns are out of order. The station that shows Voyager makes an attempt... but leaves huge gaps so that one week we're in season three, the next we're in the middle of four. And for people picking the show up in reruns, it would be madness.

I guess I would prefer episodic, but I'm not totally opposed to serial. That is, if I understand the terms right!

Well, here's how I see it:

Episodic: An over all story arc with continuity from episode to episode, but usually, each episode will be resolved at the end.

Serialised: Basically, each episode builds on previous episode, usually starting with a 1 or 2 min "previously, on whatever".

With that said, TOS, TNG, VOY, and ENT are the only episodic shows I'm a fan of.

Out of my favorite shows, here are the serialised ones:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Stargate SG-1

Roswell

Everwood

Well, here's how I see it:

Episodic: An over all story arc with continuity from episode to episode, but usually, each episode will be resolved at the end.

Serialised: Basically, each episode builds on previous episode, usually starting with a 1 or 2 min "previously, on whatever".

With that said, TOS, TNG, VOY, and ENT are the only episodic shows I'm a fan of.

Out of my favorite shows, here are the serialised ones:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Stargate SG-1

Roswell

Everwood

That's what I thought. Was DS9 sort of both? I haven't had a chance to see much of it. But from what I've heard, it was a serial at the end with the Dominion War and everything, but the ones I've seen have been, for the most part, episodic.

Oh, I thought of another drawback to serial. The shows always end in the most obscure places. At least, the ones I watch do. (Which is basically all anime.)

But a change might be interesting. I don't know...

hmmm I 'll get back to you when I have had more time to think it out, 'k?

ok, back...and thought it over....episodic. It makes more sense to me for each week there be a different story, unless it was meant more to be like a miniseries movie, then a serial format would make more sense..

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Stardate:213537.8

Both.I thought the way DS9 did it was perfect.

i would really like one like DS9. i thought it was just as good as TNG and better than any of the others. but i dont think theyll do one after enterprise.

Stardate:213537.8

Both.I thought the way DS9 did it was perfect.

I also vote for both. There have been a few shows (Law & Order, Babalon 5 ect.) that have both a story arc with stand alone episodes and it does work.

i would really like one like DS9. i thought it was just as good as TNG and better than any of the others. but i dont think theyll do one after enterprise.

I think that they will do another series after ENT it just might be a few years after ENT is over. When they do the next series I would love to see it as a serialized show I loved the way they did it with DS9 that's what got me to really watch it.