Sign in to follow this  
BKY1701

Star Trek mod for Civ4

I originally made this to be posted on a Civ4 site, but I want more Star Trek fan’s opinions on it. If you don’t completely understand, that’s ok… this is not a game simple design:

Here is the overview of my idea, I am posting this as… I need help, I can do a lot, but not all of this, on my own.

Civs and leaders:

Note: Traits do NOT mean the same thing as they do in unmodded Civ4, there are also more of them.

The traits listed are only an idea, input in welcome.

United Federation of Planets:

Jonathan Archer (Expansionist, Scientific)

Jaresh-Inyo (Organized, Scientific)

Klingon Empire:

Duras (Militaristic, Treacherous)

Gowron (Militaristic, Honorable)

K'mpec (Industrious, Honorable)

Kahless (Honorable, Philosophical)

Romulan Star Empire:

Neral (Treacherous, Organized)

Shinzon (Treacherous, Scientific)

Ferengi Alliance:

Quark (Financial, Creative)

Gint (Financial, Philosophical)

Rom (Financial, Scientific)

Zek (Financial, Organized)

(Don’t ask why they get more then everyone else, I don’t know)

Cardassian Union:

Dukat (Militaristic, Industrious)

The Dominion:

Founder (Organized, Militaristic)

(They don’t have names…(?))

Borg Collective:

The Borg Queen (Borg)

Maps:

The maps would all be flat (non-globe), made out of space tiles and planets. Planets would be 1x1 or 3x3 in size and would cover about 38% of the map (they are closer together then they really should be).

Cities and Such:

Cities would be built on planets ONLY (I would make a resource called “colonizable” and a script that would allow cities to be built only on it), they would be capable of “mining:” the space around them (as the max planet size is 3x3, there will always be some space within the city radius) similar to how cities work sea tiles.

All resources (other then the ones on planets) would be mined with a single improvement; a Space Station, and such a station would also add 1 latinum and act as a fortress. For planet resources I will probably keep it similar to how it is for land resources in civ4.

Units:

There will be only ONE type of unit: the star ship. This one unit type will be capable of flying “over” planet tiles and moving across all space tiles. Units within this type would be Colony Ships, Construction Ships and military ship classes.

Religion:

…does not really exist in any large way in Star Trek. Any ideas for what to use in place of religion are very welcome, I don’t want to trash the whole system.

Civics:

Will be very similar to Civ4, just with more Star Trek (extreme) Civics. The religion civics will be replaced with military stance civics.

Buildings:

Will be similar to civ4. The airport will be a Trans-Warp Gateway, Harbor a Space-Port, etc.

Great People:

The only change will be the addition of a Great Officer (Admiral, Capitan, etc), Great Merchant (why was there none in Civ4?), and (possibly) Great Diplomat.

Wonders:

Here is a list of wonders I know are needed, I will add more:

Star-Fleet Command: Adds a Training Facility to every city, Increases Great Officer birth rate.

Zefram Cochrane Memorial: Increases Great Engineer birth rate, 2+ science, gets one Great Engineer when built.

Trans-Warp Hub: Adds a Trans-Warp Gateway to every city, Increases Great Engineer birth rate, 2+ production.

Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards: City produces all units 50% faster, Increases Great Engineer birth rate.

Supreme Assembly: All government Civics? Free up-keep? I don’t know.

Tower of commerce: +4 latinum, all cities generate +2 latinum, free economy civic up-keep, Increases Great Merchant birth rate.

This will be updated.

I am very big Civ fan! :lol: It sounds cool.

Civ started in the early 90s. I played Civ II for a long time. I like Civ III and I have not warmed up to Civ IV that just came out.

It sounds very interesting. I have also been a fan of civ for a long time I just can't get into civ3 and I had no clue that their was a civ4. I just like playing civ2 as 3 does not have the advisers. I just love the milatary one.

Fascinating! I have been playing Civ for time but I don't really know how Civ 3 or 4 works since I've never got my hands on them yet.

Civ4 is much faster paced then the older civs. There are some game-play errors, but it’s overall much improved. I will try to fix all errors when I make my mod.

Here is a list of people I can use to help make it:

A music editor,

Python (much like VB) programmers (IMPORTANT!)

3D modelers/Skinners (IMPORTANT!)

Testers/Debuggers

Hackers/crackers/investigators to help solve some mysteries about the engine (not anything illegal, but the skills will help probably)

Voice-Actors (I may use sound cuts from the show, so very low priority)

Assistant Designers/Researchers to help with wonders, Great People names, buildings, ship classes, etc (just about anyone can do this, and I will do most of it, so also very low priority)

Here is my idea for Civics, note there are only 4 out of the 5 possible civic Types, the 5th is to be defined:

Government:

Mass Republic (UFP)

- No corruption (No up-keep)

Congressional Republic (Romulan)

- 4 biggest planets get 4+ happiness (Mid up-keep)

Military Dictatorship (Klingon, Cardassian, Dominion)

- Military units generate 1+ happiness, up to 3 per city. (High up-keep)

Theocracy/Hereditary Rule (Bajoran and I guess maybe Ferengi)

- 50% corruption, temples generate 1+ lat and 1+ happiness. (Low up-keep)

Membership:

Master Race (Romulan, Klingon, Cardassian, Dominion)

- No city culture flipping (for and against) (Mid up-keep)

Semi-Autonomous (TNG/TOS/DS9 UFP)

- 2+ happiness (Low up-keep)

Contract Membership (Ferengi)

- 3+ lat per planet (Mid up-keep)

Allied States (ENT UFP)

- Increased city flipping rate for, 1+ happiness (High up-keep)

Economy:

Slave-Labor (Romulan, Klingon, Cardassian, Dominion)

- Can hurry production at cost of pop, 1+ per 2+ pro tile (Mid up-keep)

Capitalism (Ferengi)

- 1+ lat per 5 lat produced (Low up-keep)

Technocracy (UFP)

- Production-to-Research project works at 100% efficiency, 3+ science per planet (High up-keep)

Military Stance:

Standing Nation (Klingon, Cardassian, Dominion)

- Can draft 5 units per turn (Low up-keep)

Starfleet (UFP)

- Science vessels produced 100% faster, scan produces 100% science, 1+ science per unit, cannot start war (Mid up-keep)

Mercenary Army (Ferengi)

- Can build Orion Pirate, all units take 1 turn to build, 250% unit up-keep (High up-keep)

Shadow OPS (Romulan)

- Can build spies without Section 31, spies cost 50% less, all ships cloak. (Mid up-keep)

Draft Army (Generic)

- (Low up-keep)

Edited by BKY1701

Here is an image of the basic pre-TOS era tech tree so far. There’s still I lot I need to do before this is even done.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
startrekcivmodtechtree14wa.png

I haven't gotten Civ 4 yet but is this a new feature, the ability to make your own race?

You can do it quite easy via modding (all you need is the ability to edit XML if you don’t care what leader image it shows - if you do, you will need Photoshop and exporting tools, and with what’s out there now it can’t be an animated leader head like the ones that come with the game) or if all you care about is the name, you can change a Civ’s name right before entering the game.

I haven't gotten Civ 4 yet but is this a new feature, the ability to make your own race?

You can do it quite easy via modding (all you need is the ability to edit XML if you don’t care what leader image it shows - if you do, you will need Photoshop and exporting tools, and with what’s out there now it can’t be an animated leader head like the ones that come with the game) or if all you care about is the name, you can change a Civ’s name right before entering the game.

Sounds quite cool, I went to the Civ4 website and the game looks like it will be great.

Sounds quite cool, I went to the Civ4 website and the game looks like it will be great.

I think it's much better then the past Civs... it's much faster. The old civs took SO long to play and had such big parts that were boring, Civ4 is more exciting and fast.

A lot of the game play annoyances have been fixed too, like the “first turns expansion race” that made early game play unfun…

I don't know if it had been mentioned before and I just missed it but I just started playing and noticed that Leonard Nimoy does the voice overs for the game. Pretty cool.

I was thinking about something.. What if, instead of only Star Trek, I made the mod an “all sci-fi” mod? I could incorporate Star Wars, Star Gate, maybe even Farscape, all into one mod.

Of course, it would still be governed by Star Trek physics, as I think ST physics are the most well-developed and practical. Basically what that means is, Star Wars ships will not beat out ST ships just because SW ships are more powerful in their own universe then ST ships are in their‘s. Also things like expansion and such will be made to conform to ST standards.

I like the graphics in this new version:

The graphics are better then the old Civs, but people have had a lot of problems with them. If you have a GeFroce or ATI Radeon Pro [anything resent] you should not have any problems. There is also a patch coming out soon.

That would be cool, maybe even find an old series to add in like Buck Rogers or something even older.

I may add things like ships from a wider set of shows then I do for Civs (I plan to only have Star Trek, Star Wars and Star Gate Civs; but I may have ships and such from other sci-fi).

Edited by BKY1701