Sign in to follow this  
Odie

New Mayor In Buffalo

Yesturday my hometown elected their first African-American as mayor. I have followed the race very closely as I can, and the one that stucked my as a postive point was how the race contucted by both parties. Race was not an issue. :laugh: No one played the race card! No only did he win, but he won an overwhelming majority. I hope that he help improve Buffalo and make the city a better place to live and do business in.

Edited by Odie

I'm glad they didn't play the race card at all.. To me, race is not an important issue, if they can do the job well, then they should be elected. However, I do think an African-American or woman president is right around the corner.

I'm glad they didn't play the race card at all.. To me, race is not an important issue, if they can do the job well, then they should be elected. However, I do think an African-American or woman president is right around the corner.

How about an African-American Woman as the President? Can you say "President Condeleeza Rice"?

It's good to see that the race card wasn't played, for once. It seems in politics that it gets played way too often these days. Was the election a clean election as far as the rhetoric? New Jersey and Virginia appearently had very nasty governor's races.

How about an African-American Woman as the President?

How about we have a gay African-American woman, we'll elliminate all of that in one person :lol:

Actually their is Common Council Member who is openly gay. When she running for the first time for the office she came and said that she was gay. Since she was up front about her sexual preference it was not an issue for the voters. So far during her last election it was still an non-issue.

What about snow removal in Buffalo? Were there any campaign pledges about who would do that best?

I have a colleague who teaches at SUNY/Buffalo, and he has the best snow jokes ever!

This cut scene some from STV says it all:

Mount_Rushmore_2287.jpg

Apparently though the movie infers that Chekov and Sulu are in Yosemite, they are actual at Mount Rushmore and a fifth presdient has been added.

Mount_Rushmore_2287.jpg

Apparently though the movie infers that Chekov and Sulu are in Yosemite, they are actual at Mount Rushmore and a fifth presdient has been added.

honestly i dont see it.. i think the guy second from the right looks like Picard with a moustache and a toupee though

Mount_Rushmore_2287.jpg

honestly i dont see it.. i think the guy second from the right looks like Picard with a moustache and a toupee though

You don't see the African-American woman on the far left? Or you don't see an African-American woamn becoming President?

This topic started out being about the mayor in Buffalo to future election of the President. :lol: :lol:

This topic started out being about the mayor in Buffalo to future election of the President.

Another thread run amuck!!!!.... :lol:

This topic started out being about the mayor in Buffalo to future election of the President.

Another thread run amuck!!!!.... :bow:

Yeah, like lot of threads it takes a life of its own.

Back topic. I hope with will improve the city.

That's good (that race wasn't used in the campaign). Now, I hope he does a good job as mayor.

I had high hopes that J.C. Watts, a dynamic young African-American Republican from Oklahoma would move on from Congress to higher office. But he caved in to ostracization from the black community in his home state. I remember reading where he'd receive letters calling him an Oreo, a sell out, and all sorts of things.His family was threatened.....all that nonsense. :bow:

Its too bad. J.C. Watts had a great head on his shoulders.

So my question was were there promises in the mayoral race about snow removal in Buffalo? Isn't that a concern there, or have they already mastered that problem?

In my home city there was griping every winter about snow removal, and we did not get the amount of snow that Chicago or Buffalo gets.

That's good (that race wasn't used in the campaign). Now, I hope he does a good job as mayor.

I had high hopes that J.C. Watts, a dynamic young African-American Republican from Oklahoma would move on from Congress to higher office. But he caved in to ostracization from the black community in his home state. I remember reading where he'd receive letters calling him an Oreo, a sell out, and all sorts of things.His family was threatened.....all that nonsense. :bow:

Polititians receive hate mail all the time for from those who oppose their positions. If he left politics and government because of name-calling and theats, then he was not cut out for politics. Or at least he needed a little more faith and committment.

Let's try to stay on topic, and find out more from Odie what was good about the situation in Buffalo, rather than stray to topics about other politicians and their constituencies.

What were the issues in the Buffalo election?

How did the mayoral contest stay focused on issues, and not decline into base rhetoric?

What party is the new mayor a member of?

So my question was were there promises in the mayoral race about snow removal in Buffalo? Isn't that a concern there, or have they already mastered that problem?

In my home city there was griping every winter about snow removal, and we did not get the amount of snow that Chicago or Buffalo gets.

It has been master many years ago and now its non-issue. There are some in the Public Works Department that goes out to different communities to teach the best way to deal with the snow. In the past many people had lost the election because of not having a plan ready before winter hits the area. The city prepares for next coming winter when spring hits the city. Even when 8 ft of snow hit the area it didn't even effect the mood of the people. They where out helping cleaning up the side walks, dig out cars, and generally having fun. :bow: Snow does not slow Buffalo down one bit! :)

Edited by Odie

Polititians receive hate mail all the time for from those who oppose their positions. If he left politics and government because of name-calling and theats, then he was not cut out for politics. Or at least he needed a little more faith and committment.

Let's try to stay on topic, and find out more from Odie what was good about the situation in Buffalo, rather than stray to topics about other politicians and their constituencies.

What were the issues in the Buffalo election?

How did the mayoral contest stay focused on issues, and not decline into base rhetoric?

What party is the new mayor a member of?

The biggest issues facing Buffalo are the following:

Fiscal- the city has a control by the state. The situation is slowly getting better, but it’s long way to go before city can finance sound.

Development- the 32 sq miles of waterfront is poorly develops. Aid from the private and public funds are there and in place, development so far has process very slowly. The city needs to bring back and draw new business to the downtown area.

Bridges- With in a few years Buffalo will have a 2nd new bridge into Fort Erie, Canada. It’s badly needed. On the busiest days it can take over an hour cross the bridge. Negations between Washington Ottawa have been slow at best to down right out nasty. Mostly its do to new security measures in place, but the traffic going from and to the bridge has grows every year. THE BRIDGE IS NEEDED NOW! BUFFALO IS LOSSING MILLIONS DAILY!

Customs into/out of Canada- Homeland Security has suggest that passports might be required to cross the boarder. This idea will hurt Buffalo and the surrounding area more than when the all steel mill closed down. The city does it best to make sure the boarder is safe, but the so far not enough funds are in place from the federal government. Buffalo doesn’t face the same problems as with the Mexican boarder.

There are more but from what I have listed are the most pressing issues.

They stayed with the issues. There is one way to loss an election and to remember unfavorable is when they start to throw mud.

The party of the new member is Democratic. It’s almost impossible for a Republican to win an election for mayor in Buffalo. The last one was 44 years ago.

Sounds like there are some really hard problems facing Buffalo, especially with the border issues.