Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Two end-of-Season-1 episodes "left open"

SPOILERS WITHIN!

At the end of "The Conspiracy",

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
the aliens controlling the Starfleet admirals are all wiped out but one is able to send a message to an unexplored part of the galaxy.
Does anything ever come of that?

Next episode.... "The Neutral Zone"...

Something or someone is destroying Romulan and Federation outposts along the neutral zone, but it never says who or what.
Do we ever find out?

The neatral Zone "Invader's" were the borg.

And for "The Conspirasy"

I honestly don't know!!!

I'm gonna take a shot and say klingons!

I'm not gonna use spoilers for these episodes since they're about 18 years old, but the answer to the Neutral Zone is the Borg and the Conspiracy cliffhanger was never canonically dealt with but I believe some novel said it involved the a rebel Trill group. But don't quote me on that one.

I'd always wondered what happened to that signal. When I saw it first I had thought that they would return to deal with it at a later date, shame they didn't, it could have been an interesting episode.

I thought the Borg were introduced in TNG when Q flung the Ent-D into Borg space, alerting the Borg to intelligent life in [what was referred to in Voyager as] Sector 001, sending the Borg "our" way... That's just what I remember from seeing it on TV... I could be wrong. If this is true, and I don't doubt you guys at all... then I was wrong about how the Borg "discover" the Federation.

Interesting.

And about the Trill... couldn't happen. Must have been a Fanfic or something... The Trill symbionts aren't anything like what we saw in that episode, and they don't control one's mind, they only add memories. No, those aliens were nothing like the Trill, at least not as we know them from DS9.

I thought the Borg were introduced in TNG when Q flung the Ent-D into Borg space, alerting the Borg to intelligent life in [what was referred to in Voyager as] Sector 001, sending the Borg "our" way... That's just what I remember from seeing it on TV... I could be wrong. If this is true, and I don't doubt you guys at all... then I was wrong about how the Borg "discover" the Federation.

Interesting.

And about the Trill... couldn't happen. Must have been a Fanfic or something... The Trill symbionts aren't anything like what we saw in that episode, and they don't control one's mind, they only add memories. No, those aliens were nothing like the Trill, at least not as we know them from DS9.

The Borg thing is inferred by how the colonies were destroyed. They were introduced in Q Who but The Neutral Zone foreshadowed it. A logical explanation for why the Borg were so close is the signal sent at the end of Regeneration (ENT).

I did mention that the Trill thing is a novel, therefore non-canon. The novel suggests that the manner of possession is similar to Trill symbiosis and that Trill symbiots have secretly waging a war with the parasites for many years. But again, this is non canon. It comes from a Mission Gamma (DS9 relaunch) novel.

If you're going by appearnace then you have to rethink it because we did see the Trill and the symbionts in TNG before we ever saw them in DS9 (TNG: The Host). Their appearance is very different here to what we see later in DS9.

That said though, I would consider them using the Trill to explain these aliens quite a lame and lazy explanation and I doubt it could have had anything to do with the Trill at all.

I wasn't sure if the novels were canon or not. I read a few of the TNG books a long time ago... I can't name any names due to lack of memory, but I know I read at least three. I always thought they were canon, though they seemed to be more 'side stories' that never contradicted, added to, or took away from, the Trek universe as we knew it, so whether they were canon or not didn't much matter. But like I said, I only read a few TNG books.

I was not aware we met the Trill before DS9. I would bet the appearance would be different; I recall from the DS9 extras that Michael Westmore (makeup) originally wanted to give Terry Farrel (Jadzia Dax) a pronounced forehead, like a Klingon's but not nearly as many ridges... then went with the dots. I'd imagine the Trill as seen in TNG would look nothing like on DS9, which makes no sense, but whatever. :laugh:

I wasn't sure if the novels were canon or not. I read a few of the TNG books a long time ago... I can't name any names due to lack of memory, but I know I read at least three. I always thought they were canon, though they seemed to be more 'side stories' that never contradicted, added to, or took away from, the Trek universe as we knew it, so whether they were canon or not didn't much matter. But like I said, I only read a few TNG books.

I was not aware we met the Trill before DS9. I would bet the appearance would be different; I recall from the DS9 extras that Michael Westmore (makeup) originally wanted to give Terry Farrel (Jadzia Dax) a pronounced forehead, like a Klingon's but not nearly as many ridges... then went with the dots. I'd imagine the Trill as seen in TNG would look nothing like on DS9, which makes no sense, but whatever. :lol:

The Trill we saw in TNG 'The Host' did actually have a pronounced forehead. Here he is below -

odan.jpg

I'm still very glad they went with the spots though.

According to Paramount, novels are never canon. Also, they did experiment with the raised forehead for Jadzia in the development of the show, but they decided to go with spots instead to make her more human looking.

Actually it went past the development stage of DS9. They actually had started filming The Emissary when they decided to change the make-up so a number of scenes had to be re-shot.

Actually it went past the development stage of DS9. They actually had started filming The Emissary when they decided to change the make-up so a number of scenes had to be re-shot.

Interesting, didn't know that, wonder if there's any photos of it out there.

Okay, just found out that apparently at the end of the season two DS9 DVDs there are extras which contain pictures of Jadzia with the raised forehead.

Apologies for keeping this a little off topic but I just found the test photos of Jadzia with the raised forehead and a different form of the spots. Here's the link -

Test photos

Interesting, didn't know that, wonder if there's any photos of it out there.

Okay, just found out that apparently at the end of the season two DS9 DVDs there are extras which contain pictures of Jadzia with the raised forehead.

I found this at Memory Alpha. It's not the best quality but it's the only one I can find so far.

Dax_TNG_Trill.jpg

The ridges in this picture sure don't look as pronounced as Odan's were in TNG.

The two episodes were originally directly linked. Those alien critters were supposed to be THE big villian of TNG, which is why the signal was sent out, and then colonies were destroyed. The producers dropped them in favor of the Borg, though the destroyed colonies still fit in with the Borg.

I'd like to see, if they make another TNG movie, the return of the Conspiracy aliens.

The two episodes were originally directly linked. Those alien critters were supposed to be THE big villian of TNG, which is why the signal was sent out, and then colonies were destroyed. The producers dropped them in favor of the Borg, though the destroyed colonies still fit in with the Borg.

I'd like to see, if they make another TNG movie, the return of the Conspiracy aliens.

OK, this theory (fact?) makes sense. Thanks for sharing. :dontgetit:

I don't remember the 2 episodes being directly linked. It's been a while since I've seen "Conspiracy", was there something in it that indicated that the aliens could do the kind of damage that we see in "The Neutral Zone"?

I don't remember the 2 episodes being directly linked. It's been a while since I've seen "Conspiracy", was there something in it that indicated that the aliens could do the kind of damage that we see in "The Neutral Zone"?

I don't remember there being a link as well. There was a link between Coming of Age and Conspiracy. In Coming of Age, Admiral Quinn and Commander Remmick make their first appearance. Quinn tells Picard that something strange is going on at Starfleet Command. Of course, in Conspiracy Quinn has one of the organisms attached to him and Remmick is the host of the "mother" organism.

I don't remember there being a link as well. There was a link between Coming of Age and Conspiracy. In Coming of Age, Admiral Quinn and Commander Remmick make their first appearance. Quinn tells Picard that something strange is going on at Starfleet Command. Of course, in Conspiracy Quinn has one of the organisms attached to him and Remmick is the host of the "mother" organism.

Yeah, that one I can recall but I don't ever recall seeing a link (implied or direct) that linked it with "The Neutral Zone".

The ridges in this picture sure don't look as pronounced as Odan's were in TNG.

I've come to believe there are two simple equations when it comes to Star Trek make-up, although these are not hard and fast rules.

1. The better looking the woman, the less intensive the make-up (Jadzia, Ro Laren, Rajiin, etc)

2. The more aliens there are, the simpler the make-up.

For example, I just watched two Season 2 Enterprise episodes on DVD: The Catwalk and Dawn.

In The Catwalk, there are about a dozen or more Takret characters. Their make-up:

In Dawn, there are two Arkonians. Their make-up:

They aren't directly linked, at least not in canon. What I meant was that before the producers came up with the Borg, they planned on using the Neutral Zone (more correctly, the destroyed colonies) to link the critters with future episodes.

VBG, to answer your question, yes, there's evidence that's it's possible. They took over the bodies and identities of key Starfleet personel. Also, Data discovered the pattern of Starfleet personel suddenly acting differently that ultimately resulted in the critters arriving on Earth. So who knows how many entire crews were taken over. For all we know, the critters did the same thing with Romulans and Klingons.

They aren't directly linked, at least not in canon. What I meant was that before the producers came up with the Borg, they planned on using the Neutral Zone (more correctly, the destroyed colonies) to link the critters with future episodes.

VBG, to answer your question, yes, there's evidence that's it's possible. They took over the bodies and identities of key Starfleet personel. Also, Data discovered the pattern of Starfleet personel suddenly acting differently that ultimately resulted in the critters arriving on Earth. So who knows how many entire crews were taken over. For all we know, the critters did the same thing with Romulans and Klingons.

Is this something that you heard/read from some ST "officials" or is it something that you spotted by watching?

I'm sure I had read that the organisms were going to originally be used in Neutral Zone but were later replaced by the Borg. I believed it until reading this in the TNG Companion regarding Neutral Zone:

Originally, the rendezvous with the Romulans had been discussed as the first of a multi-part story that would have united the two governments against the newly discovered Borg, who were developed as a replacement for the disappointing Ferengi. The (writer's) strike nixed that idea, though, and the Borg had to wait. References to the pattern of their destruction, however, remained in the script.

It was always intended that the Borg were the ones who destroyed the outposts in Neutral Zone.

Edited by Takara_Soong