Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Homelessness Needs Local Relief

Ken Schram Commentary: Homelessness Needs Local Relief

October 24, 2005

By Ken Schram ken_schram.jpg

SEATTLE - I had steak for dinner last night. I mention that only for the irony. I was attending an auction to benefit SHARE/WHEEL, the organization that sponsors Tent City. It wasn't a very glitzy event. There were no tuxedos or evening gowns; no balloon arches and no bottles of wine at the tables. With maybe a couple of hundred people attending, it was way smaller than the Human Society's "Tuxes and Tails", and the guest list was obviously not culled from the Who's Who of Poncho. There was but one elected official there: Mary Alyce Burliegh, Mayor of Kirkland. Bruce was there though. He lives at Tent City 4 and got to introduce the mayor. Don and his wife Pat were there. They used to be Tent City residents, but now have their own apartment. Don broke down while trying to explain to everyone what that means to him. Pat kept touching Don in a show of support up at the podium, and then touched everyone else in the room with the spirit of her words. Across the country, hurricane-caused homelessness comes with billions of dollars in relief. But on a drizzly night in Seattle, with nothing but a cold breeze off Elliott Bay, homelessness generated only enough money for some bus passes, porta potties and a dumpster. The steak dinner was just part of the deal. You can donate to SHARE/WHEEL at (206) 448-7889, or send to:

SHARE/WHEEL

P.O. Box 7889

Seattle, WA 98111

Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

So, can you help?

I'm sure that all of us have similar organizations in their own states to donate to. While I feel for the homeless of Seattle, we have just as much or more homeless people here in Baltimore.

It's been years since I've been to Seattle, and only when I was visiting relatives in Tacoma. What is Tent City?

Tent City is just what it sounds like... a city of tents. They are set up near in lots after they group gets a sponsor and an OK from the city, or county, thier in to be there for a set about of time. There have been four that I know off and it helps the homeless that try to do something with thier lifes. No one that uses drugs or coments crimes is allowed.

I love it when the Homeless beg for money outside of McDonalds when i went to School in Downtown Pittsburgh, I mean McDonalds would hire anybody get a job, I always offered to give them food, but not money to spend on Booze

I always offered to give them food, but not money to spend on Booze

I always test those guys myself. When I see someone with a sign around their neck saying "Will work for food", I offer them to cut my lawn and do other various jobs in return for a nice meal and each and every one of them turn me down.. :(

When I was living in Japan there was a homeless guy that have less than $2.00 in American change. He would not be able to use it all in any of the stories in Japan. About 98% only takes the local currency. I decided that I will take the change and give him yen for the amount. He really didn't know was that I gave him about $10.00 in yen.