Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Are We Blaming The Victim?

Ken Schram Commentary: Are We Blaming The Victim?

October 20, 2005

By Ken Schram ken_schram.jpg

SEATTLE - Ken Hamlin is lying in a hospital bed. The public seems to be just lying in wait. People are poised to blame the Seahawk player for going out and getting his head bashed in. Seattle P.I. Columnist Art Thiel concluded that Hamlin "...made a choice that knowingly disregarded the risks...(by deciding) to party...in a rowdy bar." I wonder if Thiel would also criticize a rape victim for wearing a short skirt and being out past midnight. I suppose if Hamlin had been out sipping white wine spritzers while listening to a string quartet, he'd be getting more sympathy and less scorn. But hey, he was at a hip-hop club -- in Pioneer Square no less! Worse, he was mixing with common, every-day folk instead of being in seclusion with his peers. Didn't he get the memo that pro athletes shouldn't fraternize with the public outside the stadium venue? Never mind that the investigation into what happened to Hamlin is nowhere near complete. Never mind that it could just as easily have been any 20-something year old guy out for a night of fun. Doesn't matter. Nothing beats knocking a pro athlete off the pedestal we put them on. That's what some people actually consider sport. Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

So, what do you think?