Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Questions about a few episodes

Spoilers herein!

Well, I didn't want to go and make a "TNG Blog" as I did with DS9... yet there are a few questions I have about some of the episodes, which are probably just a matter of interpretation, but in case I missed something, I thought I'd just ask them here. :(

1x01-02 "Encounter at Farpoint": In "Star Trek VII: Generations", talking to Geordi, Data recalls a joke. Something to the effect of "The Romulan (? - might be something else) can stay, but the Ferengi in the Gorilla suit has got to go." At least that's what I remember. First of all, they didn't meet the Ferengi until the episode "The Last Outpost", and second, I don't recall any joke like that being told on the "Farpoint Mission", which I can only assume is the "Encounter at Farpoint" episode... since "Farpoint" was really an alien that the Enterprise liberated. Thus I doubt there will be another "Farpoint Mission".

1x06 "Where No One Has Gone Before": Surely some of what The Traveler did was recorded. Why didn't Voyager try some of that? The Enterprise-D was able to travel two to three galaxies in minutes (seconds?). Voyager did mess around with a Warp-10 prototype in "Threshold", but that didn't work... but that wasn't the same thing as what The Traveler did. So I didn't have any questions/problems with this episode, only that the results of what happened should have helped Voyager somewhat.

1x09 "Justice": This episode has never sat well with me. I guess this isn't so much a question, but more of a "what did you think about the ending" question. Perfect world, until we realize they execute anyone for the smallest offenses, and Wesley accidentally breaks a law and is thus sentenced to death. The problem I have with this episode is that the inhabitants of this world don't properly warn visitors. They're quick to provide a summary of their laws, but they stop short of mentioning their extreme punishments. An ending I would have appreciated more would have been if they would have agreed to warn all visitors of their ways, so it would really be "on them" if something like this happened again, and the Prime Directive could be satisfied. I don't know if warning beacons hadn't been invented, but if it were a Voyager episode, and Picard and Wesley swapped for Janeway and Naomi, Janeway would have posted warning beacons all around that planet warning oncoming ships of the threat. (Granted, Tuvok would probably have pushed for the kid's execution, citing "logic", and Janeway would have had to disregard his advice... what do you think about that?)

Encounter at Farpoint: The Generations text commentary said that that joke wasn't shown.

Where No One Has Gone Before: The Traveler is weird. I don't know about Voyager, but he used his powers to transport the Enterprise. I don't think Voyager can do any of that unless they have one of them Traverlers onboard.

Justice: They do that so kids with super powers can meet their doom.

I'm sure some people can give you better answers than I did :wink2:

Encounter at Farpoint: The Generations text commentary said that that joke wasn't shown.

Where No One Has Gone Before: The Traveler is weird. I don't know about Voyager, but he used his powers to transport the Enterprise. I don't think Voyager can do any of that unless they have one of them Traverlers onboard.

Justice: They do that so kids with super powers can meet their doom.

I'm sure some people can give you better answers than I did :wink2:

357029[/snapback]

These comments pretty much sum up what I would say as well.

A few additions that I would say is on the topic of the Traveler, it's my understanding that he did what he did with his mind as opposed to the engines of the Enterprise, so as sea trooper said, unless Voyager had someone with those powers they woudn't be able to duplicate it.

As for Justice, it was in the first season and first season writing was pretty poor when compared to the rest of Trek that came after it. In my opinion it was just a weak story all around.