Sign in to follow this  
sea trooper

Combadges

I've been wondering for the longest time how combadges and pips stay on someone's clothes. The first thing that comes to my mind is that they are magnetized and that people's clothes have metallic fibers in them so that they stay on. Not just military officers, but everyone. Civilians have had combadges at times. But somehow I know that doesn't sound right. I know it cannot be a simple pin because those things just pop right on at physical contact. And I've checked ST.com but you'd be surprised how official sites have very little detailed descriptions of things. :nono:

It seems that the combadges are magnatized, that would explain how easy a person can remove it. Whenever someone leaves starfleet, they simply pull it off. About the pips, Picard took his off in Insurrection, and it seemed then that they were pins held on with a backing. Either that, or it's magnets like the combadge.

I don't think it's held with a backing. In TNG's Lower Decks one of the Ensigns is promoted and lays his pip on a table, flat on its back. And in DS9's The Adversary, Sisko gets promoted to Captain and Jake just puts the pip on his collar.

One word: Magic

352942[/snapback]

By the power of Q! :dude:

Actually, I just had an idea... Why don't we just ask Paramount? :nono:

I actually read this on one of those ST fact file thingys.

OK, it's not magnetised, refer to that episode in the first season TNG.

the episode was 'haven' I think, u know where wes was convicted of the death penalty.

Any ho, Wen they beemed that chick abored, "their god" got really pee'd off!! so Picard immediatly afixed the comm badge to this chick for beeming.

now, how it works is this.

There is a finite button at the top of each badge, not really a button, but more of a pad that is sesitive to touch, wen this button is pressed, it will

"Electriaclly" connect to any surface the backing is attached to!!

This is a gif of TNG badges.

U can see on the back of it the electical field that attaches to any material. Quite clever really!!

tnglogo.gif

oh, I can't remember the number fact file I found this in, so don't bother asking.

I actually read this on one of those ST fact file thingys.

OK, it's not magnetised, refer to that episode in the first season TNG.

the episode was 'haven' I think, u know where wes was convicted of the death penalty.

Any ho, Wen they beemed that chick abored, "their god" got really pee'd off!! so Picard immediatly afixed the comm badge to this chick for beeming.

now, how it works is this.

There is a finite button at the top of each badge, not really a button, but more of a pad that is sesitive to touch, wen this button is pressed, it will

"Electriaclly" connect to any surface the backing is attached to!!

This is a gif of TNG badges.

U can see on the back of it the electical field that attaches to any material. Quite clever really!!

tnglogo.gif

oh, I can't remember the number fact file I found this in, so don't bother asking.

353307[/snapback]

Neato! That explains why in "Rascals" the combadge was affixd to that remote controlled thing and how it was easily attached to the Ferengi boarders by Keiko and Ro.

That gif image is cool too.

Oh, one last thing, I think you mean the Edo from "Justice" for the TNG episode

It wouldn't really be big enough to effect him, but I wonder if it would affect the communication device.

ah good point

*scratches chin*

It appears that Gene Rodenberry has made a mistake!!

but the Communication in those times use much higher frequencies and such.

So maybe not!

I also don't there would be much of an electrical discharge