Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Mark Messier Retires

Messier's next stop: Hall of Fame

By Phil Coffey | NHL.com

Six Stanley Cups are the highlights of Mark Messier's incredible career. He played in Edmoton, New York and Vancouver.

When all was said and done, Mark Messier realized there were other mountains to climb, because he certainly had reached the pinnacle of professional hockey as a six-time Stanley Cup champion and one of the greatest players in the history of the NHL.

Messier made it official on a conference call Monday afternoon. As players around the NHL were reporting to training camps, Messier announced he would be passing on the festivities, announcing his retirement.

"I really had the time to take my time and see how I felt," Messier said. "Not come to a decision before I was ready to make it. It's right for me and my family. I feel good about it. I was able to play 26 years or whatever it is now and walk away healthy. It's a tough situation because we all know how much fun it is to play."

The New York Rangers, with whom Messier won the 1994 Stanley Cup, immediately announced that Messier's No. 11 will be retired prior to the Jan. 12, 2006 game against the Edmonton Oilers, the team Messier won five Cups with.

Click For Spoiler

Mark Messier - In Depth

Mark Messier Career Numbers

There isn't much mention of his contributions to Team Canada over the years in most articles I've read. Those contributions were huge though. His leadership abilities and the intensity at which he played the game were there in Canada Cups, Olympics, etc.

A truly great player who deserves to be added to the Hockey Hall of Fame as soon as possible. One of those special waivers so he doesn't have to wait the required number of years would be appropriate.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Mark Messier was a great player, I think he's in the top 5 players of all time. For me personally, it goes Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe, Mark Messier, Bobby Orr.

Mark Messier does not get enough credit, you always hear, especially about Sidney Crosby for an Example, He's Gonna be the Next Gretzky, or Lemieux, but you never hear he will be the next Messier, oh well, 1st ballot hall of Famer withoutadoubt

GO PENs!