Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Klingon Culture 101 & More

As we all know ST has great culture not only in real life and how we view it, but how in depth ST has explained some of aliens cultures this includes the Klingons which is probably the best defined.

As most of us know the Klingon home-world is called Qo’noS which was first stated in ST VI. {Behind the scenes: on TNG they were thinking of naming the home-world Kling, but latter they decided not to due to the fact that it was kind of a silly name they just had a city named Kling instead and refereed to there home-world as “home-world” at the time.}

The Klingon government is called the Klingon Empire founded about 1,500 years ago by the Klingon warrior Kahless called “Kahless the unforgettable” who killed Molor and finally united Qo’noS as one government. In 2069 there government was controlled by the Klingon High Council, but abandoned the emperor because he had no real power in the council. Officially (I don’t know how it plays out in ENT) we first meet the Klingons in 2218 which led to wars and several conflicts. Until 2267 the conflicts continued but in this year the Klingons withdrew there claims on certain territories. Conflicts continued however. A year later in 2268 the Klingon Empire made an alliance with the Romulan Star Empire. In this alliance they shared some military data as seen in TOS where the designs of there ships were the same and the name. There alliance ended due to the Romulans betraying the Klingons on an assault on the Kidmer Outpost. In 2293 an explosion occurred on Praxis there key energy site that would result in polluting there home-world so negotiations resulted with Humans & Klingons. The long run result of this resulted in peace and later an alliance with the UFP & the Klingon Empire. In 2367 K’mpec the longest council leader of all time as of now died it resulted in civil war for the Klingons. . . . . . . . . . . The clone of Kahless, the war with the Dominion, . . . . . . . “the adventure is just beginning”

Its amazing how complex ST’s time line is and how diverse it is. That’s just another reason why ST is so great especially TNG (IMHO).

Master Q

StarTrek_MasterQ@yahoo.com

Agreed. Ron Moore did such a great job on TNG in fleshing out the Klingon culture. I wish we could have seen more of Romulus than we did. Unification is really the only episode where we saw a different side to the Romulan people - the ordinary people rather than the politicians and military. Also Face of the Enemy showed a bit of a different side to the military as well.

I think how the Klingon culture was illustrated was excellent. though the Klingons were never my favorite race, however how it was "fleshed out" as soong_girl pointed out made them interesting.

I also agree with you soong_girl, regarding the Romulans, we should have gotten to see more, either via TNG or Nemesis!

I hope if there is another TNG movie that it will be about the Romulans. As I said in another thread it would be a natural progression.

I hope if there is another TNG movie that it will be about the Romulans.  As I said in another thread it would be a natural progression.

I agree, the Romulans seemed to want to discuss a peace with the Federation, soooo, in the next movie we could see that as the opening scenes and let it go from there maybe?

It could be really interesting and the directions it could go...

Remember in All Good Things... the Klingons had conquered the Romulans. That could add a whole new direction to the next movie. What if the Federation and the Romulans made peace and then the Klingons attacked the Romulans. How would the Federation react to that!!!

I see where you are going with this. . .it would be interesting!

Side note- So much for going to sleep early, it's just the threads seem to be picking up again!

Just to note that (I think we are all aware of) is the future in All Good Things was just an “anti-future” and that things did not portray what actually happened (when looking at TNG’s first movie, and so on . . .)

But I think that they should have the next movie with the Romulans.

When we look at the TOS’s movies it just seems more structured (and that’s why I think TOS has better movies) . That’s also why I think we should have the Romulans in the new movie and have it in relationship (in some way) to ST10. This will give it more structure or give it more continuity.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Well it seems that we got the new board that I proposed. We are basically going to see how it works out.

Anyways I’m probably in a few days going to go to the book store and buy a Klingon Book to help me with my Klingon. Hopefully it will pay off here.

The Klingon Dictionary

By: Marc Okrand, Dave Stern (Editor)

Click Here

Star Trek Conversational Klingon (Audio Book!)

Marc Okrand, Read by Michael Dorn

Click here to see on Barnes & Noble

Click Here

So I personally recommend everyone to buy the audio book or the Klingon dictionary.

What I would like to do (I hope that I don’t overstep my bonds) is elect a Klingon ambassador. (We would just vote on a ambassador or something like that after we have a few people who want to do it)And with a Klingon ambassador we can do some Klingon role playing, some other activities (some how connected to the Klingons), and some other things (I’ll get into those later).

Well I’m going to watch ENT so after it is over then I’ll stop by again.

But if you would like to be the Klingon Ambassador of this board (but I’m not here to say that you would be a mod that’s not under my control . . . . you would just be a one of the leaders of this board and a major player in role playing and other activities.) So please say so and I would also like VABeachGuy's input on this (the same basic idea where I talked to him about this before)

Master Q

No one interested in being a Klingon Ambassador?

Well if no one is, then after I get my Klingon book I’ll be sure to post some topics and I hope that everyone participates

Master Q

I looked at the Klingon Book - and amazon.com has a better price:

Amazon.com Klingon Dictionary

Also, does the Klingon ambassador have to be Klingon?

jIH Sov HochHom tlhIngan Hol.

The ambassador does not have to have a Klingon user name. But it would be nice of them to have some Klingon signature or picture for there user name . . . . or something to that nature.

Master Q

What exactly would the Klingon ambasador do?

The Klingon ambassador is meant for Klingon Role Playing

At this point we won’t have one and don’t really need one. Until we know the basics of the language then we’ll get one for the board . . . .

Master Q