Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists (2005)

I don't know if anyone here likes Disturbed, but they were my favorite band a few years ago, I've been to two of their concerts, and met them at one. For MTV-variety metal they're about as good as they come, IMO. For those who are down...

Disturbed's new album Ten Thousand Fists comes out on Sept. 20 this year, but it's been on the Net for about a month. Naturally, there's a bit of hooplah on the official site, those who have heard it versus those who are waiting, and the requisite few who feel that everyone should wait. I'm of the first group, having downloaded it the day it was available. The sound quality is far from perfect, but it's bearable, and I will definitely be buying it when it comes out. At first I said I would get it for my girlfriend, who likes them more than I do, but as I've been listening to it, I like it more and more.

I don't feel it's as good as their previous two albums, Believe from 2002 and The Sickness from 2000. But where Believe had the whole religious unity message and The Sickness was just straight anger and hate (talking about killing one's own mother is pretty rough), I think that Ten Thousand Fists is more the band doing what they love, playing what they know, no one theme prevelant over the others. There are a couple political songs, but that's a given, for anyone who's ever seen them live. David Draiman (vocals) always has to stop the show partway through and bring up some point, but I think he goes about it in a good way. He's no fan of President Bush, but he's not Michael Moore, either.

The title track, 10,000 Fists (albeit with different spelling, intentionally), is amazing, and kicks the album off nicely. It's about the raw energy a band experiences playing a live show. "People can no longer cover their eyes, if this disturbs you then walk away. You will remember the night you were struck by the sound of... Ten thousand fists in the air!" Well, you'll certainly feel some of that excitement listening to the song. Just Stop could probably be interpreted a few different ways, but I believe it's about the website and message board. The band used to participate a lot more than they do, and I know David feels he's been judged by so many people, things he says are just blown out of proportion. (Not that he hasn't asked for some of it, but I won't get into that here.) And it's worth noting that they cover the Genesis song Land of Confusion. It's not quite as good as their cover of the Tears for Fears song Shout from their first album, but it's a good effort. David Draiman may not be Phil Collins, but he's a good singer for what he does.

The artwork for the album is amazing, and was just published online yesterday in two forms: First the full piece, and then the cover version with the title. The full image is about twice as wide, so it will probably be the front cover and booklet, or the front cover and the back. The image is drawn by Todd McFarlane (of SPAWN fame), and it looks great. The idea is people from all walks of life coming together in unity. Oh, the big guy with the demonic face is the band's new mascot, named simply "The Guy". His face alone was the band's trademark on the first album, when it was called the "Mean Smiley-Face". Then with Believe they crossed the symbols of four major religions; David even had a necklace made. (I want one.) Now "MSF" has a body, and I must say, he looks pretty cool.

But the coolness of the cover doesn't stop there. Oh no, there are cameos! Look at the gothic girl to The Guy's right... look to your right of her fist. Apparently that's Zakk Wylde, of Black Label Society; he also played guitar for Ozzy Osbourne and I guess is a friend of the band. There's a guy in the background to the right with a red mohawk, apparently that's a member of Mudvayne, a heavier metal band similar to Slipknot. Someone on the official site was saying Amy Lee of Evanescence is portrayed as well. I suppose they mean the girl in the red? Though I think she could be anyone. Look also for a skeleton, and Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. Granted, these could all be coincidences, but you'd think a cover like that, there would have to be some references.

The original image, and the cover:

disturbedcoverphoto01dl6cy.th.jpg 195586016l8lm.th.jpg

Disturbed page on SPAWN.com (also you can enter to win a guitar signed by the band)

The tracklist:

01. 10,000 Fists

02. Just Stop

03. Guarded*

04. Deify

05. Stricken**

06. I'm Alive

07. Son of a Plunder

08. Overburdened

09. Decadence

10. Forgiven

11. Land of Confusion (orginally recorded by GENESIS)

12. Sacred Life

13. Pain Redefined

14. Avarice