Sign in to follow this  
Madame Butterfly

Happiness is something that can be overdone

Updated: 09:46 AM EDT

Happiness Is... Something That Can Be Overdone

By Marilyn Elias, USA TODAY

(Aug. 22) - Maybe you can never be too rich or too thin, but you can be too happy for your own good, says a psychologist who has studied the topic so thoroughly that he's often called "Dr. Happiness."

New evidence suggests ultra-happy people may pay some surprising costs, University of Illinois psychologist Edward Diener told the American Psychological Association in a weekend report.

It has been well documented that happy adults tend to live longer, make more friends and do better at work.

But the most happy college students aren't as conscientious as moodier classmates, Diener's studies show. "The '10s' in happiness may spend more time at the bars, dancing and drinking," he speculates.

In worldwide studies, moderately happy adults usually earn more money than the most satisfied. "Maybe it's a motivation thing," Diener says.

Culture and personality also can make a relentlessly positive outlook less desirable. Asians often consider it unseemly to be too happy, Diener's studies show.

And a workplace filled with Pollyannas could lose its competitive edge. Those in mildly negative moods can be more critical and analytic, lab studies suggest.

Shifts in happiness levels give a person vital feedback about himself and the world, much as a gas gauge is needed in cars, says University of Virginia psychologist Gerald Clore. Those who are constantly happy "may have a broken gauge," Clore says, "and it's not serving them well."

I think nobody can be 100% happy, but when I'm happy I'm over the moon! :P

Edited by xXTrekkieCaraXx