Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

TOS a relic or revelation

TOS is...  

55 members have voted

1. 1. TOS is...

• Still valuable and relevant to modern day audiences
    • Outdated

TOS is unlike any other Star Trek series that has come out. The focus on story, character development, and acting are all there...but theres something of a humor to the show that really makes it different. Today´s shows are much more serious, even when not trying to be, TOS just had a different sparkle. Oh, and the triad of Spock, Kirk, and McCoy still has not been matched by any grouping of characters from other Star Treks.

Yes TOS was a Revealation in stories that it represented at the time it was on 66-69

i Think that each Series that followed it had there own Relevant stories reflected in the Series

TNG

DS9

Voyager

and the recent ENTERPRISE

:assimilated: :blink: :wow::hug:

the more things change the more they stay the same

Quark at the End of DS9's "WHAT YOU LEAVE BEHIND"

Star Trek is still relevent today for a number of reasons already stated in the above posts. I've loved a great many tv shows over the years, running to the set to watch each installment week after week. So, some could make the claim it was mere sentimentality that keeps me glued to the original, Star Trek. I'd agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that through the wonders of syndication and cable tv I have been given various chances over time to revisit some of these old "favorites" just to find myself cringing and wondering how I could have loved these shows way back when...

I get no cringe factor with Star Trek. Yes, the sets are sometimes cheesy, and those rocks are surely made of foam rubber, lol, but the strength of the stories draws the audience in letting us see passed the sets and the costumes ( I never had a problem with these) and the make up. The stories reverberate in their messages today, because such messages are timeless. Star Trek gave us a cast of characters, each unique, well-drafted and loveable in their own way. Together they formed a team who led us, willingly, to take another look at ourselves from a safe distance so that we might see where we are, where we are headed and where we need to be.

Star Trek is a unique slice of Americana, replete with the lessons of its time, a presentation of hope against a backdrop of the cold war. Growing up in that time frame we faced the neverending sense of doom. At any moment we could be obliterated. I went through air raid drills in elementary school! Star Trek came along to show us we could safely navigate out of these rough times. It cannot be duplicated nor should it be. It stands alone, a classic, a giant, a phenomenon, and it will live forever in the annals of tv history as relevent today as it was then.

And I hope to share it with my great-grandchildren one day.

T'Bree

I'm sorry that i didn't vote on this poll but the more i thought about it the morthat i thought that i couldnt make up my mind which choice to pick, in a way TOS is both, the heart of TOS is about the human condition... but then again technically the sets and props and the effects are outdated.. so i guess that TOS is both relevant and outdated at the same time and maybe thats what makes it such a great show to modern day audiences