Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

No One Is To Blame

it half a dozen of one and six of the other.

the kids were in the wrong for projectiles, the guys were wrong for chasing the kids (And one is said to have beaten or physically laid hands on a child)

When you are a kid, and you are in the fear zone, and trust me I have been here, you lose all rational sense of danger, you just want to put as much ditance between you and the person thretening you.

I know when I was bullied, asides from being pushed in the moving traffic (how I didn't get run over, I have no idea) I ran accross roads to try to put distance between me and them. Sanity and road safety go out of the window when you are scaed.

If you don't believe that, then you haven't been that scared in you life.

I have an update to this story.

No Murder Charges Filed In Death Of Spanaway Boy

August 23, 2005

By Keith Eldridge

TACOMA - Pierce County prosecutors will file assault but not homicide charges against a man they say punched one 12-year-old boy and chased another before that boy ran into Spanaway traffic and was killed. Deputy prosecutor Jerry Costello says they can't prove that Mario Haley committed homicide and caused the death of Garnet Willis on July 15. 22-year-old Mario Haley, of Lakewood and 22-year-old Tyrone Sherrod, of Tacoma were arrested the Friday morning after the Garnett ran into traffic on SR-7, where he was hit and killed. Haley told KOMO 4 News Tuesday that he's sorry about what happened. But the boys' parents are angry that Haley won't be charged with murder in the death of Garnett. They say it's justice denied. "I was just sick, sick to my stomach," said Christina Graeber, Garnett's mother. With Garnett's photo next to her alongside the spot where Garnett was killed, Christina Graeber can't believe no murder charges are being filed against Mario Haley. "I guess it was their lucky day. But luck runs out," she said. But Haley says Garnett's death was by no means intentional.  "I just wish that the parents could understand that what happened was a complete accident," Haley said. "I didn't mean for nobody to get killed." In his first ever interview, Haley told KOMO 4 News his version of what happened that night. He says Garnett and his cousin were firing bottle rockets near traffic along busy Pacific Avenue in Spanaway. Haley and his companion Tyrone Sherrod got out of their car and confronted the boys. Garnett ran, but Haley caught Garnett's cousin, Jon Winterhawk. "I turned around and looked at his cousin and I said: 'What are you guys doing?' " Haley said. "(Jon) said: 'Oh we're not, we're not, we're just shooting fireworks.' And that's when I punched him and that's when I could see the crunch and his cousin had got hit by the car." Contrary to earlier reports, the prosecutor says Haley was not chasing Willis and can't be charged in his death. "I don't see sufficient evidence to show that Mario Haley forced him to run into that roadway," deputy prosecutor Jerry Costello said. "He didn't physically push him, corner him in such a way that he had no other place to go." But Haley is being charged with fourth-degree assault for hitting Jon Winterhawk. Haley's passenger Tyrone Sherrod is not being charged at all as he didn't hit either boy. Haley wanted to send a message to Willis' family: "I just hope you guys can understand that it was a complete accident and that I'm not a bad guy. My past is my past and I just hope you guys can come to understand and hopefully forgive me." But Graeber said: "I'm trying to find it in my heart and I know I have to move on, but I have a lot of unanswered questions." While Haley has his son to play with and enjoy, Christina Graeber has only a photograph and memories of her son. Haley is due in court Sept. 1 on the assault charge, which is a gross misdemeanor and punishable by up to a year in jail. As for Garnett's family, they're still trying to pay for his funeral amid all the grief. An account is still set up at Wells Fargo Bank.