Sign in to follow this  
removed

First Contact Question

Ok. This movie is amazing, but i never understood one part:

The Borg Queen.

Aren't the Borg one collective with one consiousness, and no leaders. Why would the collective need a leader if they are all connected?

Was this just disregard for Trek lore, bad writing or just a screw-up?

I've never understood this. Does anybody know the reason why this is?

I think that she is sort of the conduit for their thoughts, with so many millions of voices running through their minds, it would bring utter chaos, unless they had a focal point to organize their thoughts, and assist in dertimining their course of action. They feed their information into the collective, the collective assesess the worth of the infromation, processes it, and the Queen simply keeps everyone in line.

I think she's more machine than flesh, she's pobably so integrated into the collective that she's a mere brain to process and speak for them.

JMO.

This wasn't disregard for Trek-Lore, a mess up, nor bad writing. They realised that for a movie, the Borg needed a "face", so the Queen was introduced.

Borg Queen - "I am the beginning, the end, the one who is many. I am the Borg." She then explains to Data in the movie, "I bring order to chaos." However, in Voyager, we've seen her give the collective orders. It's my deduction that the Queen is more of a "lead drone" who keeps the collective consciencous in order. She's both a part of the collective as well as an individual. She keeps the collective in order as she is the collective, but she's also an individual, thus giving the collective orders and such. Kill her, and the collective goes into chaos. However, since she is also the collective as well as an idividual, the collective will eventually find order, and she will return.

Make sense, eh?