Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Nakoda

Ben Nakoda's Personal Log

Ben Nakoda's Personal Log,entry one.....

Became a new member here yesterday.

Believe I was devinely guided to this community site.There are many enlightened spirits here.I am eager to meet them all.

I invoke the six sacred directions upon this day.

I invoke the sun.

I invoke the moon who is my sister.

I invoke the Great Spirit who is my Father.

May he always guide me in the Beautiful Way.

Until I return to the dust,Until I return to my mother who is the Earth.

Hi, and welcome.

I read your invocation, I like it, if this is rude forgive me, but where did it come from?

The prayer is one I learned from my great-grandmother.She and my mother taught me much that I know of our people and of our ways.

Like Chakotay on Voyager,I am ashamed now to admit that as a boy I cared little for my history or culture.I wanted video games and cable television and the newest clothes....I wanted nothing to do with being a Choctaw.

I did not appreciate the things that mattered until a personal tragedy some years ago forced me to reevaluate my life.

Since that time I have been deep in study and have emersed myself fully in my culture and the traditions and spirituality of my people.

Now I am teaching the young people in my community to embrace their heritage.It is a fine thing to want to live a modern life,but that does not mean one must forget his past.

I have always been interested in Native American culture, though I admit I know very little. But I am interested, which is a place to start. I am interested in everything. thanks for answering my question. Oh and Chakotay was my favourite character too! *ducks out of your log, for now*

Am emotionally drained.

Was woken up about a half-hour ago.It was storming outside,but I felt I needed to go out of doors.I saw a woman,but I could not see her clearly.She was a Ti Chi Ake,a spirit guide.I went into the woods behind my house and communed with my mother's spirit.I don't remember exactly what transpired,what knowledge was passed.I was never as focused as she was,or grandmother.Maybe it will come back to me later,in the dreaming world.

Needed to put the experience into printed word,so I would not forget.Haven't figured out how to keep a journal on my PC yet,so this will have to do.

(If you Wahito's think old Ben Nakoda is crazy,keep it to yourselves :P ).

Whatever it was,it left me feeling very sad but cleansed.A weight has been lifted from my heart,and for that much I am thankful.

01/07/05 Ben Nakoda.

I found the word processor on my PC today.

Now I can keep a private journal,not that I mind this one....it's just,there are some things a person needs to keep to themselves.

Well,last night was interesting.No revelation was forthcoming after I got back to sleep.Like I said,though,I was never as attuned to the spirit world as others have been in my family.I'm a pretty worthless shaman :P

Continuing research on more obscure aspects of my people's day-to-day lives,pre-European invasion.

Hoping for more rain this weekend.I love the rain.

Don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure the Great Sprit would want you to understand full understanding does not happen all at once.

I love the rain and darkness. I welcome you here. We are all here for a reason, but I do love Native American culture. I wish tto learn more about it.