Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

Goofs in Trek IV

* Revealing mistakes: When the cloaked ship lands on the grass, a trash can is crushed. As the earth (grass) moves down under the pressure of the heavy ship, the grass blades remain pointing up.

* Continuity: The candle and beer in the restaurant.

* Boom mike visible: After the President gives his warning, Kirk gets up to talk to Spock.

* Continuity: At the Cetacean Institute after Spock's mind meld with the whale inside the pool, Gillian and Kirk find him dressing up again but he looks completely dry. Although we may assume that 23rd century clothes will dry up in a split second, Spock should still be wet.

* Errors in geography: The shot of the whales swimming away at the end of the movie was set in San Francisco, but the footage was filmed off the coast of Hawaii (The Big Island is visible in the background).

* Continuity: The hand that Kirk uses the phaser with when rescuing Chekov.

* Errors in geography: After leaving the Cetacean Institute, Kirk and Spock discuss the whale situation; from the view of the Golden Gate Bridge they have returned over the bridge from Sausalito to San Francisco. The scene changes and when we return to Kirk and Spock, they are back in Sausalito, being offered a ride by Gillian "back to" San Francisco.

* Crew or equipment visible: Sound stage wall visible through the hatch that Kirk blows after the Klingon ship crashes into San Francisco Bay.

* Continuity: The Klingon ship is shown hovering above the whaler with the whaler deep in its shadow. When they cut back the bridge of the whaler, they're back in the sunshine. They cut back to show the Klingon ship hovering over the whaler, and it is once again in shadow.

* Errors in geography: Kirk and Spock ride a San Francisco "Muni" bus to the "Cetacean Institute" in Sausalito. However, Muni does not run any buses over the Golden Gate Bridge to Marin County, where Sausalito is located.

* Incorrectly regarded as goofs: Kirk mentions twice that he and his people do not use money in the 23rd century (once to Gillian and once before he pawns his glasses for cash), but in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984), Bones McCoy tells an alien in a bar that he has plenty of money to pay for a ride to the Genesis Planet. The difference is that the trip in the earlier movie was planned, so McCoy would have been able to prepare money; further, evidence is that Federation humans do not generally use money between themselves, but have experience using it with other cultures (notably the Ferengi).

* Revealing mistakes: During landing of the ship, garbage cans are "blown over" into the prevailing wind, and can be seen being kicked over by garbage man.

* Continuity: At the end when the camera pans the crew just before their pardon, Scotty wears the rank pin of a Commander. This is despite his being promoted to Captain in _Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)_, being listed in this film's credits as "Captain Montgomery Scott," and wearing Captain's pins in the next film, _Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)_.

* Continuity: When Dr. Taylor drops off Spock at the park, the ignition switch of the Chevy pickup is shown in the "off" position, yet engine idling sound continues and there is no sound of the engine starting up again.

* Crew or equipment visible: Just before Spock checks the bus map at a stop, you can see several crew members are visible through a large glass window of a restaurant - one of them even clearly wears a Star Trek IV security badge, and all are wearing walkie-talkies.

* Crew or equipment visible: When Sulu accidentally turns on the windshield wipers of the helicopter, the wipers were broken so a grip had to move the wipers manually. Look closely and you can see his finger holding on to the blade as it moves back and forth.

* Continuity: The pizza box Kirk holds after Gillian drops him off at the park is smaller than the pizza they had ordered "to go" in the previous scene. Then, when Kirk beams aboard the ship, the pizza box is gone.

* Continuity: The painted-on "HMS Bounty" on the Bird-of-Prey is visible only when Kirk asks his crew if they will stand trial with him.

* Crew or equipment visible: When the Klingon ship is descending towards the whaling ship, there is a shot of the whales immediately following a quick shot of the harpoon. At the extreme right-hand side of the underwater whale shot you can make out a diver from waist up.

* Audio/visual unsynchronized: When Scotty is typing on the computer in the plexiglas factory and his hands are shown the sound effects of typing to not match up with his hands, which are moving much slower. In addition, the there is no way a single keystroke as demonstrated by Scotty could create the level of graphics shown on the 1986-vintage Macintosh computer used in the scene.

* Continuity: After Kirk rescues Scotty and Gillian, he tells Scotty to close the escape hatch on the bridge; he never does and it is left open.

* Plot holes: The whales and water are in the storage tank in the ship, but there is no indication that there is any void space for air in the tank or how the whales would be able to surface and breath in the uncertain G-forces of time travel.

* Audio/visual unsynchronized: Immediately after the whales' transponders are located in the Bering Sea, Gillian can be seen to mouth "How did you do that?" without sound, then she is immediately seen and heard giving the same line from another camera angle.

* Factual errors: In the end credits, the role of Marine Sergeant is misspelled as "Sargent."

I used to think those kinds of things in all the series and movies were fun, that they added to the sagas charm but now they only serve as reminders of the un-fairness and hostility towards ENT by some of the fanbase. :yahoo:

You missed one.

The whalers are supposed to be from Finland but Finland has never hunted whales.

eh, I'm not critical, i just got them off a webpage looking on info on this movie, goofs don't boter me too much, but if look for them it can be fun

I never noticed any of that.... :)

Not that it would matter much.I watch Trek for the story and characters I enjoy...could care less about minor continuity gaffs,or moved candles/beers.

I'd wager an observant enough person could spot loads of the same mistakes in any film.

Looks like you visited imdb.com

338698[/snapback]

Me?

On occasion....but what has that to do with my post?

Did somebody else say that at imdb.com about a movie? :)

* Audio/visual unsynchronized: Immediately after the whales' transponders are located in the Bering Sea, Gillian can be seen to mouth "How did you do that?" without sound, then she is immediately seen and heard giving the same line from another camera angle.

330189[/snapback]

I may be wrong about this (it's been a while since I've seen the movie) but I could've sworn that Gillian said that twice, once quietly and then again a bit louder, as if in disbelief.