Sign in to follow this  
joeybear

FINALLY!

I don't mean to set off a controversy on the boards, but i would like to share some very good news - just over a year ago, I was attacked physically and verbally - although the attack wasn't severe, the underlying cause was ... homophobia - after a lengthy process and a stressful trial, Canada's new hate crime laws were substantiated, and a clear message was sent out to the public - I have been through a lot in my short life, but the social stigma attached to 'being myself' has been one of the most trying - to have society on the whole say 'that's not right' has changed my life for the better, forever - I post this for review, and for the chance for everyone to learn by the trials (no pun intended) of others - I am happy to say that humanity is off and away ...

for related articles, see torontosun.com and erabanner@yrng.com, searchword Tavares

I am glad to hear that everything is going better for you.........I have many homophobic friends and the things that they say about others are just horrible!!!!!!!! I also have a few homosexual friends and totaly see nothing wrong with that..........

I believe TO each his own and let it be.............

That's great news Joeybear!!! I'm glad the jerk was given jail time but I'm even more glad on the effect the outcome has had for you.

Here's more news, Prime Minister Jean Chretien has announced that the federal government will NOT be appealing the court decisions in BC, Ontario and Quebec that struck down the definition of marriage as being between a man and woman. New legislation will be drafted and will be presented to the Supreme Court for approval before being voted on in the House of Commons. Here's a link to the Globe & Mail story: Globe & Mail

For those who are interested, churches will not be "forced" to perform marriages for same sex couples as the Prime Minister was quoted as saying that legislation will "protect the right of churches and religious organizations to sanctify marriage as they define it"

Couldn't be better news..I have many friends who lets shay share your point of view and could not be happier..Hopefully big brother to the south will take notice and alter their point of views as well. Congrats Joey.

Eh, I hate homosexuallity, however, I'm not one to be homophobic, as that implies fear, and I for one don't fear it. I hate it for personal and religous reasons, as well as it seems to go against nature. However, I do not see it to be justifiable to hate the person who engages in such a life style.

I, for one, am glad that something is being done about these hate crimes. Hate crimes are hate crimes, and there shouldn't be any that get over looked.

Eh, I hate homosexuallity, however, I'm not one to be homophobic, as that implies fear, and I for one don't fear it.  I hate it for personal and religous reasons, as well as it seems to go against nature.  However, I do not see it to be justifiable to hate the person who engages in such a life style.

I, for one, am glad that something is being done about these hate crimes.  Hate crimes are hate crimes, and there shouldn't be any that get over looked.

I, for one, admire anyone who is homosexual (even if I'm not), but I respect your opinion Captain.

I just wanted to say thanks for being polite about it, THANK YOU :lol:

And, joeybear:

I'm very glad that something is being done about those hate crimes! I hope things get better!

here, here, Captain Jean-Luc - your honesty is to be commended; your tolerance is what much of this world is lacking - many could learn from your example - thanks to all for your support, keep on discussin'...

great news from Takara; i've started a new topic in Risa re: marriage...