Sign in to follow this  
MrPsychic

Energia

The Soviets created a true reuseable spaceship in the 1980's based off of stolen data of the American space shuttle. The launch vessel is called Energia and the shuttle was called Buran, Russian for snowflake or blizzard. In wake of shuttle accidents, like Challenger in 1986 and Columbia in 2003, perhaps it would be best to work with the Russians to update their shuttles. Enclosed is links to two wikipedia sites, one describing it, and another one showing a picture of it launching.

Soviet Shuttle Buran

Buran Launching

Edited by MrPsychic

Since when have the Russians put a shuttle in space? You would think that would be big news but I recall no story about it. If true, why don't they use their shuttle to go to the space station? They still use rockets. I knew they had plans for one but I don't think they have launched one yet.

Since when have the Russians put a shuttle in space? You would think that would be big news but I recall no story about it. If true, why don't they use their shuttle to go to the space station? They still use rockets. I knew they had plans for one but I don't think they have launched one yet.

326160[/snapback]

Did you even look at the link, both of your questions are answered there.

Yes it's all true; I remember when it made the news here in the US. Energa is an astonishing piece of hardware...

200px-Energia_1986_01.jpg

... that^ is just the BOOSTER! No solid fuels, all liquid fuel powered. That's why the fuel tank is so much taller than NASAs. Here is Energia with shuttle attached...

250px-Buran_energia_pad_001.jpg

And their shuttle (though un-operational now) wasn't too shabby either, look at this photo of its backside...

news-021000j.jpg

:dude: Isn't that incredible? Looks kind of early Trekish don't it? Imo the Russians built a better booster & shuttle vehicle than us; pretty looks are not important to thier designs, functionality is paramount. Read more at the link about how their entire shuttle/booster blows ours away in size, design and function.

The company responsible for this behemoth of a vehicle launching system; S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation is still in business so yes, I'd love to see us hook with them, perhaps we could actually get our butts into space to stay. They probably are just waiting for us to ask.

200px-Energia_pad_01.jpg

Why is the shuttle not operational now? What happened?

326205[/snapback]

I heard cost, they couldn't (at that time) afford to keep it operational.

From the link...

After the first flight the project was suspended due to lack of funds and the political situation in the Soviet Union. The two subsequent orbiters, which were due in 1990 (codename Ptichka - little bird) and 1992 respectively were never completed. The project was officially shut down in 1993.

Buran was destroyed... The facility housing the shuttle collapsed, tearing parts off of it and killing 8 people. The second shuttle was never completed and sold for scrap. I've read reports where the whole launch vessel is even more powerful than our Saturn V. I also saw a show on TLC where it was used for a possible asteroid killer, attach a nuclear warhead to the head of it, then crash it into the asteroid. Frankly, some of the testbed shuttles are missing... The hull of Buran was going to be taken to Germany, in Berlin for study.

WOW. I'm shocked that I have never heard of this. I'm ususally up on this type of stuff. Thanks for the info!