Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Bakula: Enterprise Film Is Dead

Here is an article from Sci-Fi Wire:

Scott Bakula, star of UPN's canceled Star Trek: Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that plans for a movie based on the show were put on hold when the regime changed at Paramount and the network pulled the plug on the show earlier this year. Bakula said he's willing to reprise the character of Capt. Jonathan Archer in an Enterprise film. "It's something I would be interested in doing," Bakula said in an interview at the show's wrap party in Hollywood last week. "They haven't [asked], but the reality is that Paramount has been under such internal upheaval in the last year that right now there's really nobody that's there that is a fan of Star Trek."

Bakula said that recent turnover of several key Paramount executives has dampened enthusiasm for future Trek projects. "It's all turned over, so I don't know what's going to happen with Star Trek as a franchise," Bakula said. "Obviously it's been very important to that studio for a great number of years and brought a lot of revenue for them. But I'm not sure how they will re-address or kind of re-approach it as the dust settles. But we'll see."

The nearly 40-year-old Trek franchise will find itself next year without an original TV series or future movie on the calendar for the first time since 1987, owing in part to the disappointing box-office performance of the last film, Star Trek Nemesis, and the poor ratings of Enterprise, which winds up its four-year run in May.

But Bakula said that he thinks Enterprise could make a successful jump to the big screen. "I don't think there's any question about that," he said. "It's just, again, you've got to have interest from the studio, and that doesn't exist right now to my knowledge. It did before. You see, when we started, there was always the idea that we would be the next movie cast and movie ship. But all the people who were interested in that are gone." Enterprise airs Fridays at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

Of course there will be an Enterprise movie. I have no doubt about it.

Of course there will be an Enterprise movie. I have no doubt about it.

"IF" for arguments sake that were true, then I have a feeling that NEM would be replaced as the biggest movie disaster in Star Trek history.

Whether there is an Enterprise movie will likely depend on how the syndication ratings go and sales of the DVDs. The only thing that Paramount understands is money and if they make enough on Enterprise there will be a movie.

Whether there is an Enterprise movie will likely depend on how the syndication ratings go and sales of the DVDs. The only thing that Paramount understands is money and if they make enough on Enterprise there will be a movie.

I hope the syndication ratings are high and I hope Paramount make a killing with ENT DVD sales. Hey, if a ENT movie is made and it earns a lot of money, then I'm all for that. If Paramount is successful, then Star Trek will become stronger, and that's what I support and so do my comrades.

"IF" for arguments sake that were true, then I have a feeling that NEM would be replaced as the biggest movie disaster in Star Trek history.

320041[/snapback]

Actually, I think that honor will fall to this next disaster that Berman is now planning.

Star Trek needs cool down period! It will survive this and be stronger afterwards.

I agree. In my personal opinion, any Trek movie right now, ENT or not, would fail miserably. If it were to be a success, I'll gladly eat my words. Otherwise, I think it could be the final nail in the franchise's coffin... :yahoo:

It will be at least 2 years before there is another Trek movie. Personally, if it's not a TNG movie then I would prefer the Enterprise crew.

I just can't imagine a Trek movie with a completely unfamilar crew. It just feels wrong to me.