Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Eccleston quits Dr. Who after 1st UK episode airs

Eccleston quits

David Tennant likely to be replacement for second series.

Ninth Doctor Who actor Christopher Eccleston has decided to quit the role, it was confirmed last night.

"The audience's response for the new Doctor Who has been incredible and I am really proud to be part of it and I hope viewers continue to enjoy the series," said Eccleston.

Fears of typecasting, and the gruelling nature of the series' filming, have prompted his decision to leave the role. His last appearance as the Doctor will be in a sixty minute Christmas special. Billie Piper will be staying on as the Doctor's companion, however.

Squarely in the frame for the role of Doctor number ten is David Tennant, currently starring in Russell T Davies' Casanova, and about to appear as Dr Briscoe in BBC Four's live broadcast of The Quatermass Experiment on Saturday.

Talks are in progress with the actor, although a BBC spokesperson said that other names might still be put forward.

Blimey - It's all go, isn't it?

from BBC.co.uk

I dont want him to leave :P Never watched it till this one started but he's really funny! Just cause he dont wanna be typecast :P Can't he stay? For the viewers? Billie Piper (who plays Rose Tyler) Will probably stay but it wont be the same!

Billie piper sucks, Eccleston should stay, are you sure this isn't a crappy joke (april fools)

He goes so does my viewership.

I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of the series. It is surprising to see the lead actor quit a brand new show. The reason is a usual reason but I don't think it's a sound reason. I think an actor just has to be strong enough to break any type casting.

Look at Tom Hanks, his first real role was as a man that dressed up like a woman so he could get cheap rent. The difference is that Tom Hanks was a strong enough actor that he wouldn't allow himself to be type cast and he can play any role you can think of and be convincing at it.

I've never seen an episode of the series of this topic but the 96 movie based on the BBC series just aired on Encore; it was ok, learned allot about the character I never knew before especially of the Tardis. I wonder if its capabilities are like that of the USS Relativity?

Edited by Alterego

I watched Doctor Who on Saturday and thought it was crap.

The special effects and acting were like something from Children's BBC.

Billy Piper should stick to being Chris Evans pervy plaything and Chris Eccleston is capable of much more than something like that nonsense.

That being said, it did score over 10 million viewers which is good because hopefully it will crush Ant and Dec's show on ITV because I hate those two "guys".

Doctor Who has never had good sfx that is not the point of the show. At least IMHO. I have not been able to see the latest verson as I don't think they are playing it in the US yet but I have seen most if not all of the old show. It was something good to watch. If anybody has a pic of the new show I would love to see it. Thanks.

Doctor Who has never had good sfx that is not the point of the show.  At least IMHO.  I have not been able to see the latest verson as I don't think they are playing it in the US yet but I have seen most if not all of the old show.  It was something good to watch.  If anybody has a pic of the new show I would love to see it.  Thanks.

314867[/snapback]

Ere's the official website on the latest Doctor Who, and here's a link to download the first episode of the new series.

post-812-1095566621.gif

Doctor Who has never had good sfx that is not the point of the show.

Then where was the budget spent?

It's licence fee payers money. The least I would expect is decent special effects.

I don't now enough about British TV to know where the budget goes but the old show ended in the 80's I think so maybe that was the best sfx the show could afford at the time. As the show back then was only a half hour show with more than one show to make a whole story. That is the best answer I can say.

I don't now enough about British TV to know where the budget goes

With the BBC, who the heck knows. Probably wasted on crap, same as usual.

with more than one show to make a whole story. That is the best answer I can say.

I understand that, I saw the second episode just to give it another chance, but that was terrible too. Eccleston is not really suited to this role. He seems awkward and there is zero chemistry between him and Billie Piper.

He did seem to want to strangle and kill billie piper, I may off to help him there, she is a talentless <bleep>

I did get to see the first two episodes and I thought that they were not to bad. I did feel that the story was a bit rushed. I liked it better when it was half hour installments with so many installments making one story. With only two shows I can't tell if Eccleston is a good doctor but I guess that does not matter as he is quitting. I will also have to hold my opinion about Rose even though it does seem that they picked her for her physical parts not her acting. Like I said though their is just not enough show to form a opinion yet. IMHO