Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Yellowstone - Supervolcano

Yes it is.

I went to Yellowstone two years ago, and shortly after my visit, (my 10th), the report came out about a possible natural disaster occuring there!!

:blush:

I love that park though.

I won't stop me from going there next summer as planned.

I think like alot of Geology stuff, they overexgerate (SP) it, I mean its mostly boring, look at Mt St Helens this past year I was waiting for a big boom and all we got was a wimper

It's supposed to erupt every 600,000 years. Given the size of other eruptions, it's likely to shatter the North American tectonic plate and destroy all of America.

I saw a show on this a couple years ago on TLC or Discovery, in that show they said that if Yellowstone were to erupt it would likely have the same effect on today's Earth as the astroid that supposedly killed off all the dinosaurs. It would basically destroy all life on Earth. I believe the term that they used in that show was "Super Culdera" or something like that.

Mt. St. Helens is rebuilding herself... it wil be another few years before she goes again. As for Yellowstone... it being over a weak point in the North American plate, but the likelness of it happening are not great. There is a better chance of the movie 10.5 or the south side of of the "Big Island" of Hawaii(which has been foercast to happen).

Yes it is.

I went to Yellowstone two years ago, and shortly after my visit, (my 10th), the report came out about a possible natural disaster occuring there!!

:)

I love that park though.

I won't stop me from going there next summer as planned.

313061[/snapback]

I agree. It is a wonderful place. I also love Grand Teton, just south. I have hiked around most of the lakes there and have been there 4 times. Its variety with mountains, lakes and sagebrush country is great! I camped there each time

I saw a show on this a couple years ago on TLC or Discovery, in that show they said that if Yellowstone were to erupt it would likely have the same effect on today's Earth as the astroid that supposedly killed off all the dinosaurs. It would basically destroy all life on Earth. I believe the term that they used in that show was "Super Culdera" or something like that.

313161[/snapback]

I think I saw the same show. Pretty scary. The word might be caldera maybe? Also it would put a real crimp in any camper's vacation plans! :blush: :)

I agree. It is a wonderful place. I also love Grand Teton, just south. I have hiked around most of the lakes there and have been there 4 times. Its variety with mountains, lakes and sagebrush country is great! I camped there each time

Never fails, everytime I go, one of the campsites we are in, has a bear visit at night!! :nono: Lord do they smell awful!!!

Well on another thread I've listed Grand Teton as my favorite park in the States.

It's simply breathtaking.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

Notice how the Earth is overdue for a lot of things, Mount Rainer is supposed to erupt, Yellowstone is supposed to erupt, California is supposed to have a massive earthquake, and the Earth was supposed to be hit by a meteor... Imagine if it all happened at the same time, everyone would be dead, and the Earth would literally be shattered, I think.

Sounds like what happens at the end of a few books I haven't fully read.

313233[/snapback]

How do you know how a book ends unless you've read it to the end? Unless you cheated and read just the end.

Yellowstone erupts between 600,000 and 700,000 years, we are currently at the 640,000 years. It is said that when it goes of if the wind is in the right direction the ash will fall in places like Eastern Europe, 20% of the united states will be uninhabitsable and the suplhers that are emitted will place earth into a volcanic winter for a couple of years at leat, Life will not end, but will be drastically curtailed. Humans have survived Yellowstone going off before.

Edited by Unadopted Angelic

its not the Destruction of earth that bothers me, its the waiting

313511[/snapback]

Why waste time wondering about something that's not your expertise if it's going to curtail the way you live?

Not saying you said that, just what went through my head when I read your post.

If that's how I die, that's how I die.

I don't live that far from Yellowstone. IF it blows, I'll die. I most likely won't even know what hit me.

My quote was a Joke, Sarcasim, no matter what we do anymore or what we enjoy somebody says its gonna kill us, Sarcasim does not come off good on the computer

My quote was a Joke, Sarcasim, no matter what we do anymore or what we enjoy somebody says its gonna kill us, Sarcasim does not come off good on the computer

314629[/snapback]

:P :P

I understand.

:P