Sign in to follow this  
Lollypop

Holiday with a difference

UN proposes tourist area in Chernobyl

UKRIANE, Kiev. The Emergency Situations Ministry set about to consideration of the UN proposal on creation of a tourist area in Chernobyl.

The essence of the proposal worked out under the UN Development Program is expounded in the UN report sent to the Ministry a couple of days ago. In particular, the report says that in some of the Chernobyl zone's areas many interesting sorts of flora and fauna can be found now. Despite the fact that the radiation level exceeds any admissible norms there, UN believes it possible to invite tourists to Chernobyl. In turn, profits gained by means of "extreme travelling" would go into help and medical treatment of 200,000 Ukrainians in need suffering from the tragedy in Chernobyl.

An Emergency Situations Ministry official, who preferred to remain unknown, told PRIMA on February 14 that the UN suggestion met interest of the Ukraine's Minister Cabinet. In his opinion, the world community has lost interest to the Chernobyl problem, that is why the UN initiative and its practical elaboration of the Ukrainian government may attract attention of rich foreign tourists to the region.

Would you go ? :dude:

It would not be the destination of choice but I admit the "areas (of)many interesting sorts of flora and fauna" have me interested to see.

It would not be the destination of choice but I admit the "areas (of)many interesting sorts of flora and fauna" have me interested to see.

You mean like the Triffids ?