Sign in to follow this  
anslem1701

The Frakes Commentary

Was it just me, or when you were listening to Frakes' commentary track on the new First Contact DVD, did he sound drunk? Maybe not, maybe that's really the person he is. :angry: It just seemed like he didn't offer much, except for a great humorous ride through the making of it. I know it was his first movie, and it was years ago, but his comments like "Yes" or "Awesome" or "How much product did Riker have in his hair?" were so funny, I couldn't help but wonder. I don't feel cheated, because Bragga and Moore offered all the insight, but I just had to wonder if I was the only one who got the idea that he may have been watching the movie with a 12-pack of Miller Light... :look:

Was it just me, or when you were listening to Frakes' commentary track on the new First Contact DVD, did he sound drunk?

311475[/snapback]

I've always wondered whether Frakes was drunk while actually directing the movie...............................

I was the only one who got the idea that he may have been watching the movie with a 12-pack of Miller Light... :angry:

311475[/snapback]

Thats how I get through Life anymore, I might have to watch my ST movies see how I take them in while having Miller Light in my Lap

I didn't get that impression at all. I think he is genuinely just a laid back great person who likes to have fun.. He certainly is an actors director for sure. It really sounded like they had a great time making this movie. And the end result was fantastic..

I certainly won't disagree with you there. He is a wonderful director. I think after FC he was given a few projects that could have been better, but he's done a great job with everything he's been given.

I certainly won't disagree with you there.  He is a wonderful director.  I think after FC he was given a few projects that could have been better, but he's done a great job with everything he's been given.

311728[/snapback]

I agree. FC is fantastic. If you don't like the final cut of Insurrection, don't blame Jonathan Frakes though. I would really love to see a director's cut of that movie to see what his vision of it was.

I think Nemesis would have been more successful if he had directed it. Having a non-Trek director (who knew nothing about Trek and cared nothing about canon) forced on them by Paramount was bad.

He is a wonderful director.  I think after FC he was given a few projects that could have been better, but he's done a great job with everything he's been given.

311728[/snapback]

I couldn't disagree more. Frakes is a wonderful actor but a terrible director. Because of him,FC was merely a good movie instead of truly great movie. Insurrection was embarrassing. The fact that nobody is beating down his door with directing jobs speaks volumes.

I listened to it today. He is so random it's funny! When Michael Dorn's name comes up in the opening credits, all of the sudden he says "Cha'Dich". LOL. But he did a great job on First Contact!

I didn't get that impression at all. I think he is genuinely just a laid back great person who likes to have fun.. He certainly is an actors director for sure. It really sounded like they had a great time making this movie. And the end result was fantastic..

311633[/snapback]

I agree 100%. I love DVD's (I own more then a thousand right now...its an addiction) and I'll be the first to say that most audio commentaries are pretty dull. The ones I've enjoyed the most so far have been for such films as:

Fight Club

Alien

Terminator 2

Secret Honor

-and First Contact to be sure. I found that J. Frakes has a warm sense of humor and a willingness to laugh at himself.