Sign in to follow this  
LordOfTheBorg

I NEED TECHY HELP!

help me, fellow techs! ok, see the problem is:

sometimes, when i try to go to a site or download updates for my enthernet

driver, the window will dissapear, only its still there, i just can see it. And then,

when i try to use Control-Alt-Delete, so i can see whats going on, guess what... It

dissappears to!!!! And, when i first start my comp up, it says that i need to run

these files(they're in my system 32 folder[i already deleted on], but im scared

about deleting the other one), but i dont want to run them, cause they might screw up my aunts comp more, and she loves her comp, and if it screws up, she'll probably think its my fault! Oh yah, and the only thing(i think) she's download lately is Skype. oh yah, and another thing ,when i start it up, a couple of things happen(if i hit run, instead of cancel on those System 32 things), one is that a picture that isnt really there(in windows picture viewer) will pop up, but it will say "No preview available". Another thing that happens is that a notepad thing will pop up and it will have swearing and stuff in it, kinda like a hacker would leave! [no way hackers can get into my computer, because i am uber, and i have a computer-condom(if i cant say that word, i have computer-protection)] And, when i sign into MSN Messenger, sometimes, when im doing other stuff, it will say send people invitiations to download some pictures or something. I HAVE RUN AD-AWARE, AND IT DID NOT GET RID OF IT. I HAVE THE PAID VERSION, WHICH IS THE BEST!. PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!

help me, fellow techs! ok, see the problem is:

sometimes, when i try to go to a site or download updates for my enthernet

driver, the window will dissapear, only its still there, i just can see it. And then,

when i try to use Control-Alt-Delete, so i can see whats going on, guess what... It

dissappears to!!!! And, when i first start my comp up, it says that i need to run

these files(they're in my system 32 folder[i already deleted on], but im scared

about deleting the other one), but i dont want to run them, cause they might screw up my aunts comp more, and she loves her comp, and if it screws up, she'll probably think its my fault! Oh yah, and the only thing(i think) she's download lately is Skype. oh yah, and another thing ,when i start it up, a couple of things happen(if i hit run, instead of cancel on those System 32 things), one is that a picture that isnt really there(in windows picture viewer) will pop up, but it will say "No preview available". Another thing that happens is that a notepad thing will pop up and it will have swearing and stuff in it, kinda like a hacker would leave! [no way hackers can get into my computer, because i am uber, and i have a computer-condom(if i cant say that word, i have computer-protection)] And, when i sign into MSN Messenger, sometimes, when im doing other stuff, it will say send people invitiations to download some pictures or something. I HAVE RUN AD-AWARE, AND IT DID NOT GET RID OF IT. I HAVE THE PAID VERSION, WHICH IS THE BEST!. PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!

309144[/snapback]

1. why were u updating your ethernet driver?

2. what window disappears? your internet browser?

3. you deleted your drivers? or uninstalled?

4. are u looking at a picture or does the faxviewer popup randomly?

5. same with notepad?

6. msn messenger is asking other people to do download stuff from you?

try running spybot too it picks up some of the stuff adaware misses

it can be downloaded at download.com

soemthing came to mind... i did have a friend that caught a virus from accepting one of those downloads from msn messenger.. it sucks but we ended up doing a reformat. you could try and do a system restore as i can tell your running xp.. but i would try that if your spyware and viral detectors are uneffective

I had a spyware virus thing via a messanger link from a friend it turned out it killed Internet Explorer

1. why were u updating your ethernet driver?

Because i had a stupid download thing that popped up everytime i started windows, saying i had new updates(from Microsoft), and when i dled it, it said that it could not install the Rhine II ethernet thinger, so i decided to go to VIA(the people who made that driver) and i dled it.

2. what window disappears?  your internet browser?

My internet browser dissapears, my Windows Task Manager window dissapears, my MSN|M conversations dissapear, my "download update for ethernet thinger" dissapears, and thats pretty much it.

3. you deleted your drivers? or uninstalled?

I didnt do anything to my drivers, all i kno is that the download pop-p thing i got from Microsoft is that it couldnt install the ethernet driver correctly

4. are u looking at a picture or does the faxviewer popup randomly?

When i first(ONLY WHEN I FIRST START UP, NEVER OTHER TIMES)a picture will pop-up(i forget the name of it), but i never clicked anything, and it will say "No Preview Available", and its impossible for the pic to be there cause there is no pic on my desktop(which is where it was from)called that. And the same thing with the swearing notepad thing.

5. same with notepad?

See above answer

Yes, a picture or something(i think its the same one that pop-ups in WFV.

try running spybot  too it picks up some of the stuff adaware misses

it can be downloaded at download.com

So far, my computer seems to be working alright. So dissapearing windows, but i still get the stupid "run this file" at start-up. Another thing, when my computer was wiggin out, it said that i "still had files i needed to write to a disk",but i didnt even have a disk in! and when i went to the thing, there were no files. Oh, one more thing, before i turned my computer off last time, i deleted Temp. internet files, Cleared history, and deleted cookies. Could any of that have had any effect on my computer?

309145[/snapback]

Edited by LordOfTheBorg

In all honesty.. im thinking reformat.. it sounds like a lost cause.. something got into your registry and F&&^%^&'ed it all up your last 2 resorts go into msconfig and see if u can stop whatever processes you dont recognize at startup and lastly if all else fails a system restore.

There has been a virus for MSN Messenger that has been making the rounds. from what you describe it sounds like you've picked it up.

NEVER NEVER NEVER open any *.pif files, as they are all viruses. Your best bet at this point would be to check the anti-virus sites to see if a patch is out yet. Barring that, I'd say it's time to fdisk your C drive, after you secure any needed files that is. :P

I've avoided this virus so far by using FireFox and Trillian.

309145[/snapback]

thats to do with your messenger settings if you've got it as share your background with your contact but don't worry about it you can click cancel or is it "your buddy has a new icon, click here to see it?" either of them don't worry about them - they're the 2 i've seen