Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

I want to start a website

I'm thinking of starting up a web-site that is devoted entirely to people's (Trek-related) fan-art and fan-fic. But I've never had a site before (beyond those free ones.) I want the kind that I have to pay for, therefore have less limitations on what I can do and how I can set it up. I have no idea how to get it going or how to start it up. Also, is there a way that, once I have it started, I can keep it going usining only whatever is made from advertisements?

Any help would be appreciated.

I recommend Dreamweaver. You can alter it with html or click and drag method. Design it, then upload it onto a remote server and ask your ISP for the domain.

ISP= internet server provider

i'll help you more if you want as we study website making at college B) :(

I have used Invision for over a year to host DataLoreFiction after they were recommended by VBG. I have never had any problems with the site going down and their tech support has been great. They have quite a few different packages available for site hosting.

Invision

If you want to buy a domain name as well here is a link to a service:

Invision Domain Registration Service

If you don't buy a domain name you won't have an easy site address like www.startrekfans.net of www.datalorefiction.net lol

If you aren't too familiar with html then Microsoft's Front Page is the way to go. It is very easy to use.

I can't speak about the advertising part or how to get people to advertise at your site as DLF is strictly an ad-free site. That is something you'll have to research on the net.

I have used Invision for over a year to host DataLoreFiction after they were recommended by VBG. I have never had any problems with the site going down and their tech support has been great. They have quite a few different packages available for site hosting.

Invision

If you want to buy a domain name as well here is a link to a service:

Invision Domain Registration Service

If you don't buy a domain name you won't have an easy site address like www.startrekfans.net of www.datalorefiction.net lol

If you aren't too familiar with html then Microsoft's Front Page is the way to go. It is very easy to use.

I can't speak about the advertising part or how to get people to advertise at your site as DLF is strictly an ad-free site. That is something you'll have to research on the net.

308190[/snapback]

Hmmm... Thanks for the info, and thank you as well, xXTrekkieCaraXx. If either of you know anyone else who could help me, please point them in my direction.

I'll look things up online, and I'm going to ask my room-mate. I don't know how much he knows about web hosting, but he's generally good with computers. Hopefully, I'll figure something out.

Keep 'em coming, everyone! Every little bit helps!

If you got a Yahoo account then you could make a Geocities site :P They're pretty easy and Yahoo gives you lots of help :o Can Upload pictures and have it on whatever you want! There's a HTML Editor, a Pagewizard for people who want to make 1 quick page or to help you start off with and a fulls ite pagebuilder for multi page building :( Allthough there's lots of other site's/programmes i use Yahoo Geocities B) (www.geocities.com)

I've had a geocities site, I hate the things. I want a real site (one in which you don't have to type www.whateverthesiteis.com/mysite).

I've had a geocities site, I hate the things. I want a real site (one in which you don't have to type www.whateverthesiteis.com/mysite).

308237[/snapback]

You'll need to register a domain name then, which isn't very expensive if you shop around. Like Takara said, I'd suggest Invision. They have some good hosting packages that start pretty cheap. I think you can get their lowest package for about $10 a month and registering a domain name is around $10 to $15 a year.

308237[/snapback]

You'll need to register a domain name then, which isn't very expensive if you shop around. Like Takara said, I'd suggest Invision. They have some good hosting packages that start pretty cheap. I think you can get their lowest package for about $10 a month and registering a domain name is around $10 to $15 a year.

308261[/snapback]

For my www.uss-jenolen.tk or www.xxxgroovyxxxchicxxx.tk I'm not paying for it you can go to a site which gives you a name (like type into your browser (for eg) www.wishfire.tk - and it comes up - "This Domain name is availiable for regestraion" or whatever it says (to that effect) and if you join my.dot.tk with and emaila ddress and password (real email address) then you can get a name which goes over like www.geocities.com/whatever/site.html as like www.wishfire.tk and its free :( and you can have multiple names and it goes over the address bar as that site name - its cool B) and free *wink* ) Althought you can just pay too.... :P

For my www.uss-jenolen.tk or www.xxxgroovyxxxchicxxx.tk I'm not paying for it you can go to a site which gives you a name (like type into your browser (for eg) www.wishfire.tk - and  it comes up - "This Domain name is availiable for regestraion" or whatever it says (to that effect) and if you join my.dot.tk with and emaila ddress and password (real email address) then you can get a name which goes over like www.geocities.com/whatever/site.html as like www.wishfire.tk and its free :P and you can have multiple names and it goes over the address bar as that site name - its cool :( and free *wink* ) Althought you can just pay too.... B)

308263[/snapback]

Yeah, you can find free domains out there like the .tk that you mentioned. I just prefer the .com or .net domains even though there's a small annual charge for having them. They're easier for people to find and remember.

Invasion is good if you want to make messageboards and php on it but yea, I recommend Yahoo. We use Dreamweaver MX at college, that seems pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Invasion is good if you want to make messageboards and php on it but yea, I recommend Yahoo. We use Dreamweaver MX at college, that seems pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

308441[/snapback]

Dreamweaver is a good program, plus it kind of inspired one of the videos I made (the "Dreamweaver" video of course). I use it for it's preview ability. I actually taught myself HTML about 10 years ago so I got used to doing it all without an editor, just type it all in manually. I also learned DOS back before Windows existed lol, DOS and HTML aren't 2 of the most exciting things in the world to teach yourself but they've come in handy over the years.

As for Yahoo, which I'm assuming that you're talking about Geocities, I used to use them a lot back before they began limiting bandwidth and adding their advertising into the site. I still have a couple of sites on Geocities but I never go to them and likely would have a hard time even finding them now lol.

How long did it take before you learnt it? We are learning it. Did you use Dreamweeaver for this site? :(

How long did it take before you learnt it? We are learning it. Did you use Dreamweeaver for this site?  :(

308447[/snapback]

Learning HTML (and DOS) was gradual, I don't know that I could put a time frame on it. It was just little by little over the course of a few years as I was making websites and playing around with it.

The bulk of this site is Invision's message board software so Dreamweaver wasn't really needed. For other aspects of the site that aren't part of the message board, like the Episode Guide or the Ferengi Rules I did mostly use Dreamweaver though.

Html is probably the most simple language to learn, just check a book out at the library on it. I learned html a few years ago in just a few weeks

My friend made me some frames for my site which I've used HTML on (Not the Ticker and other parts of the site) But I'm not putting the frames up onto it again until I've got me a HTML book out of the library so I can get frames linked in my site as they don't work! :(

i got low marks in my website design project at college today don't ask me anymore :( B)