Sign in to follow this  
adm. stickler

stardates

someone please tell me what is the deal with sardates i read that 1000 dates = a year but in kirks time the stardate for example is: 4156.6 that would mean that stardates were only in use for 4 years? someone help me please

It's in the startrek.com FAQ section, there is no explanation, they made it up foir the show, stardates don't exsist.

How are stardates calculated and is there a way I can convert today's date into a stardate?

According to Gene Roddenberry in "The Making of Star Trek," stardates were originally created "simply to keep from tying ourselves down to 2265 ... " and to make clear that Star Trek was set in the future. There wasn't a method used to calculate the date, but the producers of the original show did keep a rough track of stardates and there was some logic as to how they progressed. However, as the shows aired out of order from the production order, the stardates would sometimes go backwards. To address this problem, Roddenberry formulated a clever explanation that used a bit of scientific double talk to make stardates sound more plausible, i.e. they "adjust for shifts in relative time which occur due to the vessel's speed and space warp capability ... "

By the time Star Trek: The Next Generation was produced, another digit was added to the stardates. According to Michael and Denise Okuda's "Star Trek Chronology," Gene Roddenberry added the extra digit to show how long had passed between the Original Series and the new show. The first digit used was a 4 and the second digit designated the show's current season. The last three digits before the decimal point would increase from 000-999 according to where in the season the episode took place.

As stardates don't really correspond to anything in reality, fans have taken it upon themselves to come up with their own version of dating based on the standard calendar. By using the year, month, day approach, the day the first episode of Star Trek aired, September 8, 1966, would appear as 6609.08.

Stardate FAQ click here

thank you

for those interested i found the following info on stardates:

1 year= 1000

1 day= 1.0

one thenth(.1) =2.4 hours

also the first 2 digets go in order (e.x. 55xxx.x = 2378, 56xxx.x= 2379) they repersent a year

however the day don't go in order like 55678 55679 55680 it depends on temporal varenses and all that good stuf however if you on a planet the stardate only goes as high as the number of days in that planets year for example on earth the stardate never goes above 365 example: 55365.9 is the last day of the satr date the next day would be 56000.0. so if on a starship i gess that going to warp effects the stardate. ow! my head hurts i hope this makes sence B)

Stardate:213433.5

Stardate is explained like this:

take for example the stardate at the top of my post it is the current date and time.

21=Century(21st century)

3=year in century(2003)

433 x.365=day in year

.5=percentage of day past

Stardate:213433.9

If u want to have a stardate timer on ur computer like i do go to www.stinsv.com then click on screen savers,icons ect. I would highly reccomend checking out the rest of that site cause it has a lot of awsome stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!