Sign in to follow this  
Captain Ericks

What is the Federation's exact Government

I don't know that it is ever spoken about directly. I know about a president from 'The Voyage Home', 'The Undiscovered Country', and 'Paradise Lost'. There are also references to a Federation Council, which I can only assume is the group of brass that the crew stood before in 'TVH'.

I've just pondered that, weither the Federation has a U.S. style branch system, or a parliament or a morally founded Communist state.

Does anyone know exactly what it is?

It seems to be a Federal Republic form of government with a central administration and regional levels of authority.

303680[/snapback]

So by that you would mean that Vulcan would have its own Governor per say (and possibly its own laws based on cultural tradition), but it would still answer to the President of the Federation. It reminds of the State and Federal levels of our (U.S.A) government. I wonder if the President is elected by the electorate (The Federation Council) or by the citizens (which would be a pain, knowing how elections have been in the past few years here in America, not that I complain with the out come).

(I'm sorry about all this jabbering. I'm a bit of a political nut. I'm just fascinated by this stuff)

Yes, I think each member world would have it's own planetary governing body and also local levels of government. It seems cumbersome to rule the entire Federation just from San Francisco. I think the Federation council would be elected by the member worlds, unless each member is appointed by each planets government and acts through their direction.

The President could be selected by the Federation Council itself or I guess every few years, a number of candidates are nominated by the member worlds and they hold an election to choose their President.

(I'm sorry about all this jabbering. I'm a bit of a political nut. I'm just fascinated by this stuff)

It's not jabbering, I understand and appreciate where you're coming from. I actually think that when Star Trek addresses politics or uses politics-based storylines, it can be at it's very best.

You can definitely see the very strong influences of the UN on the Federation Council.

We don't know what form of government is on Earth but we certainly know of various types of government running things on other Federation member planets. I doubt any planet would agree to give up their autonomy to join the Federation.

As for how someone becomes a council member, I'm going to go with the option of members being appointed as we know T'Pau was the only person to turn down a seat on the Council. People don't usually run in an election and then turn down the seat when they win. I don't know how a President is chosen but I would not be surprised if it followed the UN model with members electing the President.

Yes, I think each member world would have it's own planetary governing body and also local levels of government. It seems cumbersome to rule the entire Federation just from San Francisco. I think the Federation council would be elected by the member worlds, unless each member is appointed by each planets government and acts through their direction.

The President could be selected by the Federation Council itself or I guess every few years, a number of candidates are nominated by the member worlds and they hold an election to choose their President.

304314[/snapback]

The council itself (based on what we saw in 'The Voyage Home') Is probably between thiry or fourty people, which raises another question about representation. In 'First Contact' Picard says there are over one hundred and fifty worlds in the Federation. Granted I realize that there is some eighty-five years of new species joining the Federation, but does each planet get a representative or is it like the the House of Representatives where there is a set number of people and each one represents a certain territory or region. I like the idea of members being apointed to the council, too. I would hope that there are also different branches of the Government splitting up the power to prevent the citizens being rail roaded by the Council and the President (whom was appointed by the council).

It's not jabbering, I understand and appreciate where you're coming from. I actually think that when Star Trek addresses politics or uses politics-based storylines, it can be at it's very best.

I've thought about that. Something like a Starfleet Command show or a West Wing equivelant. I also think that an arc involving the politics of Star Fleet would be interesting aswell. It would have to be great writing to get all of the facets of what is going on in the Federation at that point and the show would have to work with out the draw of action like the other trek shows have had.