Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Scott Bakula Chat Transcript

In case you haven't seen this at st.com, I thought I'd post it here. I thought many of his comments were rather interesting, especially regarding Trek's future:

Host: Welcome to today's chat with Scott Bakula!

Scott is braving the elements, coming to us today in spite of a Southern California storm. Scott is not working today, so we're delighted he's braving the storm to chat with you! The show is in production today, but Scott has a rare day off.

Host: The most asked question for this chat is:

JWolf: How do you feel about Enterprise being cancelled, and what were the reasons for the decision to cancel the show? I am a life long Star Trek fan as are many others and this is a total shock.

Scott Bakula: Well, I'm disappointed, and everyone involved with the show is disappointed. Obviously we're all very emotionally attached to the show and we're all having a great time making the show. So you would like that kind of a situation to continue.

Unfortunately we don't fit into UPN's business plan and really haven't for the last two and a half years. So that's a situation that's out of our control and ultimately has no reflection on our show or the quality of our show. Or the commmitment of all of our fans.

It's hard not to take it personally, but in the end we got one more season than UPN wanted to give us, thanks to Garry Hart [President, Paramount Television Production], so we feel lucky about that.

Host: The other most asked question is:

Michiel: Is there anything we can do to save Star Trek: Enterprise from ending?

SB: I don't have a clear answer for that. Obviously we want everyone to tune in and watch the last shows because we're extremely proud of them and we're anxious to share them with the fans. It would be a disappointment if there was a dropoff in viewership because of the cancellation. But the reality is, as I see it, we're a little bit like a ship in a storm with no safe harbor. There really are no interested executives left at Paramount or UPN or CBS who would be willing to fight for the show. Everyone at Paramount who had history with the franchise is gone. So I wouldn't even know who to tell you to complain to, because there's not anyone who really is interested. We've fallen between the cracks in the changing of the guard.

PRDOWLING: Do you know when Star Trek: Enterprise will be released on DVD?

SB: May 3, there you go. It should be good.

Melc: What are the chances of the show being picked up by SpikeTV or Sci-Fi?

SB: Specifically, to shop the show to another network, you have to have someone from your studio have your show's best interests at heart. To the best of my knowledge, and from reading the release that Paramount put out, they seem very content to let the show go and, I think, hoping that we would go out quietly.

They have a much bigger agenda and mandate from CBS to make new television shows for CBS and UPN. And once again, we don't fit the bill. It is ironic that with our numbers, and with our fan support, we would be very successful on Sci-Fi Channell or USA Network or almost any of the cablers.

But Paramount owns Star Trek, and somebody from here would have to want to search that out. In terms of bombarding Les Moonves with e-mails and letters, etc., knowing Les as I do, I would doubt very strongly that could possibly change his mind.

I was, however, reminiscing yesterday about the good old days when Quantum Leap was cancelled, or should I say, 'put on hiatus' mid-season, and Warren Littlefield had the good sense and good humor to run a commercial where he was having thousands of letters dumped onto him in his office and the commercial was something about "Enough already, we're putting Quantum back on the air!"

I got a good laugh out of that and I fondly remember Warren and his openness to the fan support at that time.

Host: Scott's long-time publicist, Jay Schwartz, surprised him by visiting our chat today.

Jay is in costume, playing a background crewmember in the episode currently in production, "Demons." His lunch break is over, and he has to go back to work!

probodie: Hi Scott, I'm devastated to hear of Enterprise's cancellation, but we will fight on! What is the feeling on set at the moment?

SB: Again, everyone is disappointed because we've had such a great season, everyone has been very enthusiastic with the direction of the show this year, everyone's felt Manny Coto has really worked very hard to keep us going along with Rick [berman] and Brannon [braga], but we are grateful and very aware that for all intents and purposes we should not have even had a fourth season.

I just spoke with Garry Hart two days ago about all of this, and thanked him again for going to bat for all of us, so he's a great person if people are looking for something positive to think about or respond to -- he's a great person to acknowledge.

So we're all getting ready to say our goodbyes and at the same time we're very aware that the last three shows that we're making will complete an incredible fourth season, take us to 98 hours and will be seen around the world and enjoyed for many, many years to come.

probodie: Manny Coto has written some fantastic episodes this season -- which has been your favourite up to now?

SB: Well, Manny has personally scripted several shows this year, but has shaped all of them and I really have enjoyed this Andorian/Vulcan trilogy that we're finishing tonight. I felt it was tremendously well done and coming up we have a two-part mirror universe arc that is really going to surprise and delight all of you. And we had a blast making them!

For the mirror universe I'll tease you with two words: Defiant and Gorn.

JobyDrone4of20: I watched "Necessary Roughness" during the off week of football season before the Super Bowl. I thought that was a great and underrated movie, and your performance was terrific. Who were you rooting for in the Super Bowl, and did you have any money down on it?

SB: Didn't care about the Super Bowl, therefore had no money on it. I'm a Rams fan, being from St. Louis, so I'm obviously not a Patriots fan and I don't have feelings for Philadelphia one way or the other. In fact, the best part of the Super Bowl and the only part that I was actually sitting down and present for, for the first time in as long as I can remember, was Paul McCartney.

LeahRae: You have a wonderful voice! Will you ever record an album?

SB: You know, I get asked all the time to go back into the studio and record, and I imagine that I will someday. My biggest problem will be deciding what kind of music I want to record. But I'm definitely planning to do some musical theatre in the coming years and after that we'll see.

Lisa K: Hi Scott! As always, thank you for chatting with us. I was wondering, have you had a chance to see any of Dean Stockwell's art work? If so, what do you think of it? Thanks

SB: Yes I have, and I own some of it. He had a wonderful exhibit recently and he's doing some beautiful, beautiful work. I'm very proud of him and not at all surprised and I'm lucky enough to have a couple originals.

jennifer: Mr. Bakula, I just want to say that you have all done an amazing job, cast and crew, on putting together a wonderful show. So Thank You for that. I was just wondering, in the face of the show being cancelled, what is your best memory of being on Enterprise? What are you going to take away from the experience you have had?

SB: My overall best memory of being on Enterprise is becoming part of this legacy and franchise. It's been a very positive experience for me, something that I've been a fan of most of my adult life and coupled with that, getting to work with the group of actors that I've been able to work with has been extremely enjoyable and fulfilling. They've all taught me a lot and we've had a lot of laughs. I've also enjoyed the collaborative process with Rick, Brannon and Manny.

tasakeru828: Hey Scott! What was it like working with Brent Spiner?

SB: Spiner and I had entirely too much fun. He is such a funny, dry, clever person and obviously was very comfortable on the set with the crew. It was kind of like old home week for all of them, so we all mostly just kicked back and watched Brent do his thing, which was pretty amazing to watch. He's a great actor and we were very fortunate that he agreed to do the show and bring that character to life, which I thought he did amazingly well.

SPOCK: Every week as I struggle through school there is only one thing that keeps me going and that is to watch Star Trek: Enterprise on Friday. I don't know how I will manage without it once it's gone. Is there any way to stop the show from being cancelled?

SB: Let me just say I know a lot of people are upset about the show being cancelled and I want to remind people that the show was just sold into syndication, I believe, to 90% of the country, so in a way we'll have a shot at reaching a whole new audience and, as some people have said, we'll probably be a huge hit in syndication. So we're down but definitely not out and we're not going away and to the best of my knowledge they're not going to blow us up in the last episode and kill us all, so don't be too down about us going away right now.

Host: Enterprise will be in syndication in 49 of 50 major markets across the U.S. this fall.

SB: And, as someone in the room just mentioned, syndication worked out O.K. for Shatner and the gang. Or should I say ... Denny Crane.

caz: Hi Scott, Do you have any funny stories to tell us about the cast?? (esp Dominic!) :biggrin:

SB: The longest running joke from the beginning of our run until now, two things: One, if you want a prop to survive, don't give it to Connor [Trinneer]. And we've always had a saying on the Bridge, as one person at one station might screw something up, or make a mistake, the Bridge is a circle and it travels around. So we won't even say that anymore, we just make a circular motion with our fingers and sure enough, whoever was laughing ends up the next victim.

RichardA: How does it feel, as an actor, to have two of your characters rank (as part of a group) number 2 and number 12 on the TV Guide's 25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends?

SB: Two of my characters, Archer and Beckett? Oh, that feels great! Well, I would say it's a little soon to have Archer be a legend, but I agree that the character of Sam Beckett was a unique and visionary creation, I've always been thrilled that people responded to him and to that show the way they have.

And the fact that Archer's even being talked about at this point is somewhat daunting in light of all the other Captains that 'followed me.'

enkrptic: Hi Scott, You've been doing a great job as Captain Archer ... My question is: In "United" it seems you help start what will become the Federation?

SB: The storyline for the Federation continues through the end of our season. I don't know how it's going to play out, but I know that my characters continues to contribute to its birth.

Host: Does your mirror universe character contribute in some way to the founding of the Terran Empire?

SB: In terms of the mirror universe, without giving too much away, the Terran Empire is in full swing in our two episodes.

Archer500: Hi Scott, I heard that there'll be a new Quantum Leap series, And Sam will finally come home because his daughter takes over for him. Who'll play Sam Beckett's daugter?

SB: I know nothing about that series. There are wild rumors flying about Quantum Leap all over the globe right now. What I know is I have not made a movie of Quantum Leap, I have not made a television movie about Quantum Leap, and I am not getting ready to do a new series of Quantum Leap.

Joe40001: Were you asked to do anything special for the DVDs?

SB: We did some interviews, discussing the first season, and we also were asked to O.K. some outtakes from the first season, which are very, very humorous and I think people will get a kick out of it.

LtData14: Have you seen the script for the final episode? If so, do you think that it is a fitting end?

SB: I haven't seen the script.

AndorianLover: Hey Scott! Do you have any thing special planned for Valentines Day?

Scott Bakula:

Ooops, I better get shopping! Plus, I'll be working all day.

GreatThor: All of Scotland would like to know how did the ladies look in the mirror universe in their retro uniforms? As we have to wait a long while to see it because Season 4 doesn't start for us until March.

Scott Bakula: Let me just say ... it'll be worth waiting for.

chunderfish: What can you tell us about tonight's episode "The Aenar"? Lots more of you and Shran I hope!! That's a great relationship.

SB: Lots more of Archer and Shran, but, most exciting, we get to meet the Aenar. There are two lovely performances by two beautiful ladies tonight that will be very memorable and instantly part of Star Trek lore. They are haunting and Bob Blackman did a great job with wardrobe, makeup, it's very, very special.

Brenden: Will you keep any props or costumes from the show?

SB: I haven't been thinking about that, obviously everyone else is. I've been asked a couple of times. I suppose I might take a uniform or something, but techinically we're not allowed to take anythying, with good reason. That's never been my thing, never tried to steal from my show. I have a couple jackets I wore in Quantum Leap, an old leather jacket from Gung Ho, a couple of things, but I'm not a huge memorabilia kind of guy. But security is up because obviously other people are going to be thinking that, so I'm warning people. Big brother is watching!

nephtys59: Scott we don't want T'Pol to end up with Trip, we want her to end up with Archer, what do you think about it?

SB: Obviously that's a question for Rick and Brannon to answer, but I really believe that if you look at our relationship over the last four years, it's had more dimension and challenges than if we'd just had a straight-ahead, once every 7 years, realtionship. And I think it's great if you leave fans wanting something and hoping for something. Not always giving the audience exactly what they want, then we'd become predictable.

Host: One more question ...

strangedays: Will you miss Porthos?

SB: Everyone will miss Porthos.

Host: Okay ONE more question ...

Host: How do you feel -- as a character and an actor -- that you've changed over the years on Enterprise?

SB: Well, I think Archer has matured, gotten more confidence, become a diplomat, become a very well-worn explorer. He's had his eyes opened to a lot and become more worldly, or universally (if that's a word) because of it, and overall become a much more interesting and well-rounded human being.

Host: Thank you very much, Scott, for braving today's storm to come and visit with us.

SB: Thanks to everybody, thanks for hanging in with us on Friday, thanks so much!

I think we all know what this means... one of us has to go undercover into UPN and save Enterprise!

I think we all know what this means... one of us has to go undercover into UPN and save Enterprise!

302825[/snapback]

Ok, I get the undercover part, but how does one person (or a full Tal Shiar for that mater) make it not get cancelled… other then a mass bribe, death treat, brainwashing, or replacement (putting one of us in the place of someone higher up), I don't see how it would help…

Hmmm *calls someone about a Les Moonves mask.*