Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

World Junior Hockey Championships

The 2005 World Junior Hockey Championship was hosted by the United States with games being played in Grand Forks, ND and Thief River Falls, MN.

This afternoon, the US played the Czech Republic in the Bronze Medal Game. They lost by a 3-2 score in overtime.

Next came the Gold Medal Game featuring Canada and Russia which Canada won by a 6-1 score. The Canadian victory broke a drought going back to 1997 in Geneva, Switzerland when they won the tournament.

Canadian forward Patrice Bergeron was named tournament MVP in addition to being the tournament scoring leader. Canadian Dion Phaneuf was named the tournament's top defenseman. Bergeron, Phaneuf and forward Jeff Carter were named to all-star team.

Also named to the all-star team were Czech goalie Marek Schwarz, also named top goalie for the tournament, Russian forward Alexander Ovechkin (top forward) and American defenceman Ryan Suter

Jan4Goldmedal.jpg

This was a truly awesome tournament with absolute domination by Canada. It feels so good to get past that drought. This team is full of future stars who came together and played as a team. The coaching staff was also did an absolutely incredible job. It would have been very easy for Team Canada to develop bad habits winning games 7-3, 8-1, 9-0, and another 8-1, but Brent Sutter didn't let that happen. The support by Canadian fans in Grand Forks was amazing (games featuring Canada had better attendance than U.S. games). And I must say, hockey deserves to be back in Winnipeg.

This win secures Canada's current domination in the hockey world. Canada is now the defending champions in the Olympics (men and women), World championships (men and women), World Cup of Hockey, and now the World Juniors.

I love this tournament and finally returning to gold is just an incredible feeling.

Congradulations to my Canadien friends and fellow trekkies! I'm glad that there is something to cheer about in the world of hockey! LOL! Minnesota has twice recently hosted a major hockey event, the NHL All-Star Game of last year, and now the World Junior Hockey Championships. That is pretty neat! Ya, you betcha! B)