Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Paradox

In my topic concerning Kirk's glasses in ST 2 and 4, I bring up paradoxes. Which, naturally, got me thinking... in circles.

We all know the basic principles of paradoxes. But there are definitely several types of paradoxes. What are they? Here's my ideas. Probably already theorized (and, if so, I don't know the proper names for each of them). These are my own names for them.

1. a. True paradox - An instance when an object from the future is introduced into the past by a specific person, only to end up into the same person's hands once again in the future by random circumstance to complete it's destiny of being brought into the past by that person.

1. b. True paradox (genetic) - An instance when a specific person is thrown back in time and mates (intentionally or without foreknowledge) with an ancestor, producing an offspring, which, through successive generations, provides the genetic material that would result in the birth of the aforementioned specific person. (Such a case, while possible, is highly improbable.)

2. Split-time paradox - An instance in which a person or object travels back in time and interferes, intentionally, or unintentionally, which a past event, results in the nullification of the future person/object, which prevent said person/object from travelling back in time. This instance would then result in the original time-line, in which the person/object would once again travel back in time and interfere with a past event, resulting in the nullification of the future person/object. I call such a case a "split-time" paradox because the moment the future person/object intereferes with the past event, the time-line effectively splits into two, each branch with a completely separate, yet similar path.

That's all for now. If anyone has any theories to add, or arguments (or whatever), please do so. The subject of paradoxes fascinates me, and I'd like to know more.

1. b. True paradox (genetic) - An instance when a specific person is thrown back in time and mates (intentionally or without foreknowledge) with an ancestor, producing an offspring, which, through successive generations, provides the genetic material that would result in the birth of the aforementioned specific person. (Such a case, while possible, is highly improbable.)

This could be thought of as a kind of inbreeding :)

It's all very fascinating, although it is hard to understand.

289962[/snapback]

Yeah, at first it's very confusing. I've been pondering the issue of paradox ever since I first saw Back to the Future.