Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Forbidden Planet

Forbidden Planet is arguably the forerunner to Star Trek with it's visual look and over all mise-en-scene. But what are the views of of other Trek fans out there? What do you think of this film? Do you also think that the feel of Star Trek is evident in FP?

I was watching some of FP today and I must say there are some striking similarities between the two, the look, the feel, the way it causes you to think about things behind what is being shown on the screen, all very reminiscent of Trek. I was most awed by the technology of the planet and how resembling to the Borg it is. Another factor was the Id and how a parallel could be drawn between how FP and many Trek episodes explore the "Enemy Within". Very interesting.

It is a good film isn't it. Another interesting fact is that the model of the ship was used in many of the Twilight Zone episodes such as the Monsters are on Maple Street, and the interior was used in the one where the they steal a ship to get away from atomic warfare but at the end we are told that they are heading to earth. In my opinion the Twilight Zone was one of the best tevevision series ever and I often think about which of the two producer/creators (Gene or Rod) were the better.

Could you imagine what the two for them might have acomplished together? It is a shame they never had the chance to work together, now I will forever wonder what might have been...

It would have been very much fantastic if Rod Serling and Gene Roddenberry had joined forces. :cool1: ;)

Forbidden Planet is a great movie, and is among my favourite movies. :laugh:

They are many similaries between Trek and Planet.

We can see several of these especially in Star Trek's first pilot: "The Cage" [TOS].

You could really taste the flavour of it on the Bridge of Captain Pike, or on Talos IV in the Talos Star Group...

landingAnim.gif

I thought the C-57-D was great, thus so with Robby the Robot, among several other details... I like that green sky of Altair IV... :innocent:

Loved the theme-music to the movie... Which was made by the now-extinct Krell.

I also noticed that The Twilight Zone took use of many things from that movie, as Alter_ego and TransporterMalfunction pointed out, such as the C-57-D was the rescue-ship called the Galaxy 4 or something... In the episode: "On Thursday We Leave For Home".

We all know Robby the Robot is quite the popular robot. :) :)

lastresort.jpg42.gif

post-812-1093920862.jpg

Edited by drwho42

It has been a long time since I've seen that movie doc. I do like it but am going to have to watch it again in order to compare it to Trek. I'll have to go see if Wal-.... has a copy tonight.

When I finally saw Forbidden Planer all of the way through the first thing I thought was this movie must have ay least partly inspired Gene in creating TOS. The technology, situation and feel of the movie was very Trekish.

I have the film on video, and have had it for years. It is one of my favorite 'classic'

scifi films, and I watch it periodically. Many aspects I liked....the scientific speculation. I liked the 'other wordly' look...it does remind one of the first TOS episodes. It's one lack is that it didnot have Gene Rodenberry's inclusiveness.

The "big three" charaters, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, were taken directly from the male leads in Forbidden Planet.

Forbidden Planet as well as "War Of The Worlds" are my favorite two classic sci-fi films.

Edited by Big_Steve