Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Roddenberry

"Roddenberry Jr. Documentary

to Explore Trek's Impact"

roddenberry90.jpg

If you're reading this, you're already well aware that Star Trek has long since surpassed being "just" a TV show, and has become a cultural force unto itself. A documentary being produced by the son of Star Trek's creator will explore the impact this phenomenon has had on society and on individuals, and delve into some of the more dramatic cases of lives being literally turned around due to its influence.

Eugene W. Roddenberry Jr., aka "Rod," is currently seeking a distributor and financial backing for this documentary production, called "Trek Nation." With his partners in the project — Atmosphere Pictures of Knoxville, Tennessee — Rod has produced a trailer (viewable through the link above) that he is showing at conventions around the country to garner support. "If we can get the fans behind it, they'll know that it's a project with integrity, and hopefully we can convince an executive or a production company somewhere of the same thing," Rod told STARTREK.COM.

Planning to take a more celebratory angle on the topic than previous similar endeavors, the makers of "Trek Nation" hope that the casual viewer will reconsider their perspective on Trek fandom. "Perhaps Trekkies are not just a costume-clad troop of sci-fi addicts. Perhaps Star Trek has provided a hopeful vision of the future that its fans hope to replicate in their daily lives," states a publicity flyer for the project.

"There are two ideas to this documentary right now," Rod says. "One is, to see that Star Trek has affected lives for the better, has influenced people in amazing ways, whether it's about people overcoming enormous disabilities, or being influenced not to commit suicide, or some of the other dramatic stories that are out there. The other idea is to get away from the stereotype of a Star Trek fan being the 35-year-old living in his mother's basement. Because in reality, in almost every walk of life there's a Star Trek fan. I've found out that some of these big hulky NFL linebackers are Star Trek fans. There's a gang in Toronto of Harley-Davidson riders, a Hell's Angels branch, where some of those guys are Star Trek fans. We all know that many astronauts are fans. Vin Diesel, a modern-day movie star hunk, is also a Star Trek fan. So the average Joe who sees this, sees that someone like Vin Diesel's a fan, maybe he'll realize there's something to this Star Trek thing."

The trailer includes interviews with such Trek luminaries as Patrick Stewart, Nichelle Nichols, Jonathan Frakes, Nana Visitor and Michael Piller.

The current trailer advertises that the movie is "Coming January 2004," but Rod points out that its release will likely be later in the year than that.

Though Rod and his partners are currently focused on securing funds to continue production, they are interested in hearing from fans who may have or know of someone who has a story of how Star Trek has impacted their lives in a dramatic fashion. Rod can be contacted at ewr@roddenberry.com or through the project's Web site, www.treknationDOC.com.

"I'm really trying to empower the fans and say, stand up and be proud of liking Star Trek," Rod concludes. "Unfortunately there's been this notion of everyone being kind of a nerd. Well, either way, be proud of it! And you know what, I'll be the biggest Star Trek nerd of 'em all."

--StarTrek.Com http://www.startrek.com/news/news.asp?ID=128897

How do you see “Trek’s impact”?

How has it affected you?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Star Trek has affected me greatly. I had a very abusive childhood. Star Trek was my escape from reality. It may sound corny to you guys but I don’t know how I would have made it through without it. My fiancé likes to tease me a lot about ST. He does not understand how I can get so carried away over a television show. I do not expect him or anyone else to understand what ST means to me. I owe Gene Rodenberry (and his imagination) a huge thanks for helping me get through some very difficult times.

"There are two ideas to this documentary right now," Rod says. "One is, to see that Star Trek has affected lives for the better, has influenced people in amazing ways, whether it's about people overcoming enormous disabilities, or being influenced not to commit suicide, or some of the other dramatic stories that are out there. The other idea is to get away from the stereotype of a Star Trek fan being the 35-year-old living in his mother's basement. Because in reality, in almost every walk of life there's a Star Trek fan.

Star Treks impact is amazing to me. When I was young, I thought I was the only one who had a fascination with ST. It was nice to find out that I was not alone. It’s amazing that so many different people feel so passionately about Star Trek. The only thing that I do not understand is why we have to prove to anyone that we are not a “35-year-old living in his mother's basement” or a “costume-clad troop of sci-fi addicts”. I would prefer see how ST has impacted people’s lives rather than once again trying to convince people we are not the stereotype they believe us to be. The only people that are going to be watching this documentary are Star Trek fans anyway. They don’t have to prove anything to us.

Sign in to follow this