Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Who is the best?

Jerry Goldsmith or James Horner.

For me it has to be Jimmy Horner with his fantastic scores for ST2 and 3 that are so much more emotive that Goldsmith's. For some reason Horner managed to capture the action and imagination in his music and we can see this in such moments as the death of Spock or the original Enterprise where the musical score create the impact of the scene and (at least for me) gives it more gravity.

James Horner rocks!! :) :)

i do love horner's stII score, but goldsmith has so much better music. i love the first contact and insurrection scores and i was blown away by the nemesis score. goldsmith has really helped trek along.

Goldsmith is great especially his Nemesis score. I think Horner is the better composer though. Not just becuase of Star Trek's II and III either. All of his soundtracks have been awesome (except Titanic which of course he won the award for). I would go as far to say that Horner is probably my favorite modern day flim score composer.

What do you people think of Cliff Eidelman who did Star Trek VI: The Undiscoverd Country?

Not really a fan of the Eidelman score as I would have prefered Horner to come back (I still would). Now don't get me wrong, I do like the other composer's scores in their own way, but for me Horner's work is part of what I remember when looking back at the original (best) cast films.

As for Star Trek VI, what ruined it for me was the poor redress of the TNG sets, which were in turn redresses of the movie sets. But to many times I knew what sets were really used i.e. the President's office was ten forward and the corridors of the Enterprise were hardly even redressed, at least the redresses in ST2 were more believable. However this does not completely ruin the film for me and I realise that Nick did not have the massive funds that he deserved to make the film the best it could have been. But much improved on the very poor ST5 which made the characters look a bit silly, I mean if someone had stolen my starship and crossed the great barrier, then the last thing I would do is let him come on a landing party, Kirk should have hit him in the face and thrown him in the brig and then gone on a landing team!

What do you people think of Cliff Eidelman who did Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country?

I thought his work on ST6 was wonderful, perfect for the OS Swan Song.

OK, that is a tough question. For Star Trek. . .probably Jerry Goldsmith (OK so I am TNG all the way!) As a composer, Horner (I have his Heart of the Ocean CD and that has a collection of his works, Star Trek IS one of them.), I also had done a floor exercise routine to music by Horner( I am part Scottish, and so I chose to perform to selections from Braveheart).

LOL i was at my Boyfriends House today and we watched the movie Gremlins and i noticed that the music was by Jerry Goldsmith... and i never would have realised it if i didn't read this b4 i left :dude:

-Laur :blink:

How about the score for STTMP? I even had that one on an old LP and played it often. Goldsmith is great. Gave us the them for TNG on that one and the Klingon theme.

How about the score for STTMP? I even had that one on an old LP and played it often. Goldsmith is great. Gave us the them for TNG on that one and the Klingon theme.

Yeah(gotta love that Theme) and that same piece (TNG) may become my floor exercise music for this year. Actually I am thinking of using "A New Ending" from Nemesis, since the song that Data sings (Blue Skies) appears in it. And in 1999, I had the Opening Credits and In Custody from Insurrection as my music for my gymnastics routine! Those were so great! I have three of the 4 TNG movie soundracks (used to have Generations, but I think it got mixed up with some of the stuff I sold at a yard sale :) ).

We are forgetting to give some credit to other people as well. I know the theme they used on TNG is different from the familiar music from the movies. The TNG theme was a combination of music by Jerry Goldsmith and Alexander Courage.

It is amazing in this day and age that they would have new scores written for every episode. All of the composers who worked on the series need to be given so much credit.

We are forgetting to give some credit to other people as well.  I know the theme they used on TNG is different from the familiar music from the movies.  The TNG theme was a combination of music by Jerry Goldsmith and Alexander Courage. 

It is amazing in this day and age that they would have new scores written for every episode.  All of the composers who worked on the series need to be given so much credit.

That is so true, soong_girl!

I had almost forgot about The Motion Picture soundtrack, I too have played the heck out of this one in the past, I like the version in the movie with the prelude attached (I've never heard of the prelude anywhere else, have you?) Goldsmith deserves a special acknowledgment from Paramount for all he has contributed to Trek over the years, imo he is Trek music King. :unsure:

I would say that the best music in general for ST was on TMP.

ST TMP had some great music and as you know carried through to TNG (and beyond).

When I watch TNG’s behind the scenes and they talk about its music it’s just amazing on how much effort is to produce such a show. All the way from the lighting supervisor to the music conductor . . . just shows how complex making ST is.

To get back on the music as Bysty said ST would not be the same without composers. Music sets the mood in any show and ST has been doing a great job of that.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com