Sign in to follow this  
ussacclaim

One thing I hate

Well I had a positive topic so here is a negative one.

One thing I don't like to see is rehashed footage.

The worst such incident occurred in "What You Leave Behind", the battle scene was made up of footage taken from several things, including:

"Sacrifice of Angels" --DS9

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

"Valiant" --DS9

"Tears of the Prophets" -- DS9

That's all I can remember but man, that's pretty bad.

Another one was I think in that same episode that took scenes from:

"Once More Unto the Breach"--DS9

"Tears of the Prophets"--DS9

What do you think, and do you have any other examples?

I was not aware of this. Sometimes its hard to tell if its a scene from a previous episode.

The worst example of stock footage is the "Exploding Bird Of Prey" used in Star Trek VI and then used again in the NEXT MOVIE Generations (which was a hideous movie).

:laugh:

I hadn't really noticed that before, I doubt it's laziness though, probably due to financial reasons, sometimes you have to make exceptions.

The only good rehashing was in the VOY episode where Tuvok has repressed memories. Until you really find out that if you finish watching Star Trek Vi that the guy who "died" is alive at the end of the movie....

Oh, memories are fine.

What I mean is when they deliberately take old scenes and use them again to depict something new.

Another one I remember (which probably everyone knows but anyway):

Yesterday's Enterprise: Enterpsie -D is being attacked by two K-Vort class cruisers.

Then, in "Rascals" a couple seasons later, the same footage is used to depict the Enterprise-D being attacked by 2 B'rel class ships, even though they didn't scale the ships.

That meant two different classes that were exactly the same having two names.

The worst example of stock footage is the "Exploding Bird Of Prey" used in Star Trek VI and then used again in the NEXT MOVIE Generations (which was a hideous movie).

:naughty:

275580[/snapback]

Agreed except I liked the film anyway. :wow:

Another example is all the stock footage of the Ent in TOS, too bad the DVD releases didn't get some special treatment in those areas at least.

:naughty:

275580[/snapback]

They also continued the tradition by putting footage from Generations into the preview of First Contact. However, they messed up because they used the Enterprise D footage which had been destroyed.

Well, they do cut corners to save money. All throughout DS9, the cost of everything got cheaper... except for the Odo morphing effect. So they probably decided to cut corners every chance they got for that.

This isn't a rehashed footage...

But, did anyone thought that Yosemite III (ENT #76: “Zero Hour”) looked alot like the MIDAS array from Star Trek: Voyager?

Click For Spoiler
midas-top.jpg
post-812-1096014361.jpgpost-812-1095586641.gif

The funniest thing about reused footge in DS9 is that the USS Majestic gets destroyed three times. I can just imagine the faces of the cadets when they are told where they are being assigned.

Lt. JONES: Right cadets, here are your new assignments. Smith?

CADET SMITH: Yes sir!

Lt JONES: You've got the Sarajevo. Mul'pag?

CADET MUL'PAG: Yes sir!

Lt JONES: Congratulations, you've got the Enterprise.

CADET MUL'PAG: Sweet! The flagship! No battle for me!

Lt JONES: Indeed. Erickson?

CADET ERICKSON: Yes sir!

Lt JONES: Ah... oh dear. You've got the Majestic. Sorry 'bout that. Luck of the draw.

CADET ERICKSON: Oh... piss and vinegar. Anyone want to swap? Guys? Please...?

Edited by Zagreus

The funniest thing about reused footge in DS9 is that the USS Majestic gets destroyed three times.  I can just imagine the faces of the cadets when they are told where they are being assigned.

Lt. JONES:  Right cadets, here are your new assignments.  Smith?

CADET SMITH:  Yes sir!

Lt JONES:  You've got the Sarajevo.  Mul'pag?

CADET MUL'PAG: Yes sir!

Lt JONES: Congratulations, you've got the Enterprise.

CADET MUL'PAG:  Sweet!  The flagship!  No battle for me!

Lt JONES:  Indeed.  Erickson?

CADET ERICKSON:  Yes sir!

Lt JONES:  Ah... oh dear.  You've got the Majestic.  Sorry 'bout that.  Luck of the    draw.

CADET ERICKSON:  Oh... piss and vinegar.  Anyone want to swap?  Guys?  Please...?

278013[/snapback]

:rolleyes: Well, if it got destroyed three times, maybe it took the same people with it each time! I guess that would make it live up to its name.

Only Star Trek fans would be this observant! I myself had not noticed these details, but will pay more attention in the future.

I think that sometimes corners do have to be cut for budget reasons, but by now Star Trek producers should know they have an audience that notices everything. I am sure there are more artistic or seamless ways of incorporating " stock footage"

that what they have apparently done.

I don't really have a problem with the use of old clips. Just so long is it isn't incorporated into a clip show like that dreaded TNG episode "Shades of Grey"