Sign in to follow this  
Luvin1stdegree

For Those Living On Or Near a Fault Line

I received this email today and thought it made some sense. I wanted to share with anyone who may be near a faultline.

Click For Spoiler

Thanks for sharing that. I live in Los Angeles County, Southern California, and I'm very interested in new information concerning earthquake preperation and survival. I've ALWAYS heard "duck & cover" to keep from getting clobbered by falling debris, but getting squashed under the thing I'm ducking under is something I only consider during a quake. I'll definitely give it more thought more often. It makes sense.

Hmmmm, I live along the San Andreas fault line....

In the city of Indio, although it has been sometime since I heard about earthquakes, my parents bought an excess amount of food and such in preparation for an earthquake... I'm just wondering about the asteroid 4179 Toutatis myself. ^_^

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Someone ought to get that info out during Earthquake Awareness week ( or month ot whatever). But I think they might need to discuss what advice is best based on how well the building is constructed.

If the building is constructed well enough so that it is not likely to collaspe up to a certain intensity, the current advice may be best. I am talking about the scenario where there is falling debris, but not a total collapse.

I was living in California during the October '89 quake, and was in the interior of a multi-story building. We did everything the post said not to do...one person stood in the doorway, I ducked under a desk.

But our concrete and steel building was designed to sway, and sway it did! Then everyone in the building walked down the stairs and out the doors, safe and sound.

In that particular case the major danger was from a tile or two falling from the ceiling, but not a complete ceiling collapse.

If I still lived in California, I would want to see the merits of this position discussed thoroughly!

Mmmm, isn't there supposed to be an earthquake for today?

According to this article, there will be one measuring at least 6.4 on the Richter scale for today...

lastresort.jpg42.gif