Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Arthur Dent vs. Ford Prefect

Of the two most popular characters from the "Hitchhiker" series, which of the two do you like the most?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Of the two most popular characters from the "Hitchhiker" series, which of the two do you like the most?

• Arthur Dent of what was Earth.
    • Ford Prefect (Ix) of Betelgeuse V (not of Guildford after-all.)
    • I love them both! ^-^
    • I like them both.
    • I HATE them both.
    • Either of them...
    • Neither of them...
    • [img]http://www.startrekfans.net/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
    • Hmmmm, never got into this TV show/book/radio show...
    • Marvin is the best.
    • Let's consult the guide...
    • 42!

Well, since I am highlighting my edition of "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide" (an anthology of all of D.N.A.'s Hitchhiker books), with Arthur Dent in Yellow and Ford Prefect in Green, I thought making a poll on: "Who did you think was (or is) the best?" was a good idea at the time... :lol:

Your poll choice is either based upon the Hitchhiker radio show, TV show, or book. :bow:

Click For Spoiler
Click For Spoiler
5.jpg

"Yellow."

Click For Spoiler
artdent1.jpg
lastresort.jpg42.gif

You included too many good poll choices! :lol: I had to go with 42, I just had to. It's a classic. :bow:

Honestly, I don't think either would have been as fun as they were without having the other there as a foil. Ford is simply magnificent, but he would be too over the top, I think, without Arthur's down-to-earth (sorry :bow: ) attitude to both ground and show off Ford's unique brand of insanity. On the other hand, what makes Arthur so genuinely interesting is watching him react to the totally crazy characters he comes in contact with, and the situations he finds himself in, and Ford is usually at the root of that. The Arthur/Ford interactions are the best part of the books. Except possibly Marvin, and Ford's interaction with the friendly reprogrammed robot he named Colin. And maybe the cow who offered herself as a menu item. But other than that, you know. B)

And I based my opinion on the books. I've never seen or heard the tv and radio shows. :lol:

I like them both, although I don't entirely trust Ford Prefect, :lol: and I love Marvin! :bow:

"Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!" yeah...

Marvin IS the depressed robot, right? It's been a while since I've seen the show.

Click For Spoiler
"But can we trust him?"

"Myself I'd trust him to the end of the Earth."

"Oh yes. ...and how far's that?"

"About twelve minutes away. ...Come on, I need a drink."

To answer your first (and seemingly only [for the time being...]) question, Commodore Babe, this picture should refreshen your memory... B)
Click For Spoiler
post-812-1094194663.jpg

"Sorry, did I say something wrong? Pardon me for breathing, which I never do anyways so I don't know why I even bother to say it, oh God, I'm so depressed. Here's another of those self-satisfied doors. Life! Don't talk to me about life."

Marvin has some great lines in the TV series, the radio show, and the book series... :lol:

Oh yeah, I have a picture from the 1981 TV series, featuring the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation's slogan and one of their robots (probably equipped with GPP... :lol: "Genuine People Personalities" ..."Sounds ghastly" :bow: )...

...Too distorted though. :bow:

*could post it on special request..*

Frankly, I like Ford and Arthur both (saying love would probably be overdoing it...), for basically the same reasons as Gabri. :bow: ^_^

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Edited by drwho42

Frankly, I like Ford and Arthur both (saying love would probably be overdoing it...), for basically the same reasons as Gabri. :lol: :bow:

That's because you're obviously a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is. :bow: B)

It's all comming back to me now! Didn't the doors say "Glad to be of service"? In fact, didn't SoCal Edison say it too? I was ROTFLMAO at some company that used it as a slogan. :lol:

*OMG, where's my towel?!?*

Edited by BakulaBabe

In the voting selection I go for Ford, hands down. But you didn't a have a vote selection for the Voice of the Book as played by the superb Peter Jones.

In the voting selection I go for Ford, hands down.  But you didn't a have a vote selection for the Voice of the Book as played by the superb Peter Jones.

259434[/snapback]

Well, I couldn't add all the characters there... ^_^ Since this was primarily on just Dent and Ford...

The voice of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Mk I was great in both the 1978 radio show and the 1981 TV series. :dude:

A great narrator for either of the Hitchhiker series. :cool1:

Thanx for the compliment, by-the-way, Gabri. :lol:

lastresort.jpg42.gif