Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

The original series - monsters

The Monsters on TOS were good for the time but I liked the Monsters/Aliens that came in the series after TOS but true the more Recent ones on Enterprise haven't been that many more Psychlogical Stuff and how all the Members of the Federation came together starting with the Humans and Vulcans.

:)  :)  :yawn:  :lol:

294447[/snapback]

- - - -

*for the time?* I don't think that there's anything outdated in the aliens of TOS vs the aliens in TNG. TNG focused a lot on aliens that looked exactly like us but had extra abilities, mentally; Q, Guinan, Troi; a few did not such as the ferengi and the klingons...and then, of course, there were the borg variations;

but I tend to start getting bored with seeing everything as bipedal/ humanoid. I really doubt that things are quite so boxed in for whatever creative force is at work :laugh: If the universe can come up with incredible variation on earth alone; I think that it's capable of coming up with life forms that adapt to the varied climates/circumstances outside of earth that beings such as ourselves could not. I'd like to think so, anyway :bow: And I really enjoy the various possibilities...that go beyond just differences in thought processes or *machine* parts. TOS took into consideration that people would find it difficult to adjust to different forms, so they used many examples such as the metrons, the Kelvans, the aliens in Catspaw, the organians, Companion...while introducing us*gently* to the possibility that there are things beyond the human appearance...while buffering with the facade to make it more *familiar*. It was genius :)

Heron

TNG focused a lot on aliens that looked exactly like us but had extra abilities, mentally; Q, Guinan, Troi; a few did not such as the ferengi and the klingons...and then, of course, there were the borg variations;

but I tend to start getting bored with seeing everything as bipedal/ humanoid.

294462[/snapback]

I agree here. I must say I never really noticed this as an issue when TNG came out, but by the time of DS9 and Voyager almost every alien was just a normal human with a different nose or a different hair style...

TNG focused a lot on aliens that looked exactly like us but had extra abilities, mentally; Q, Guinan, Troi; a few did not such as the ferengi and the klingons...and then, of course, there were the borg variations;

but I tend to start getting bored with seeing everything as bipedal/ humanoid.

294462[/snapback]

I agree here. I must say I never really noticed this as an issue when TNG came out, but by the time of DS9 and Voyager almost every alien was just a normal human with a different nose or a different hair style...

294544[/snapback]

- - - -

I know... When we first landed on the moon they announced that there was "no life"...there were" no little green men"....I remember thinking " Well, what if they lived... inside ...of the moon?" . "What if we just can't see them?" It just seemed so pre-supposed to think that because we couldn't see , or hear them, that they weren't there.. B) . We were equipped with senses that allowed us to experience OUR world...and very little else; and even now;I suspect that we still have much to learn.

It is by exploring the "what ifs...." that some of our greatest discoveries have been made and it is by opening the door to those possibilities that we fire our imaginations and begin the process of discovery. TOS took us through that process

with questions such as "What type of lifeform could survive...?" after conditions were relayed through Spock. Spock would always be ready to say that it was "not life as we know it". And then our minds *jetisoned* beyond what we were familiar with and into that 5 year mission, trying to figure out, with them, what this *being* could be.... " whether it be a cloud, looking for hemoglobin; or a shapeshifting being..."the last of it's kind" that thrived on salt.... These were WONDERFUL stories that engrained IDIC... the meaning of which and the portrayal of which has been completely lost in the new versions B) They were 79 of the best stories ever told ...purposeful, timeless fables B)

Heron