Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Character Spotlight - Star Trek Nemesis

SHINZON OF REMUS (TOM HARDY)

pdPHSTN0003.jpg

Little is known about the life of Shinzon of Remus. The Romulans using DNA obtained from Jean-Luc Picard, captain of the USS Enterprise, cloned Shinzon. The Romulans planned on replacing Picard with the clone in order to place a spy on the bridge of the Federation’s flagship. The Romulans used temporal DNA so Shinzon would skip a number of years of his life in order to reach Picard’s age quicker. The Romulans abandoned the plan and Shinzon was sent to the dilithium mines of Remus to die. In the mines the Reman slaves whom he later referred to as his Reman brothers befriended him. One Reman who would later become Shinzon’s Viceroy protected the young boy from the Romulan guards. Shinzon later told Picard that he did not see the sun again for 10 years after he had been sent to the mines.

The Remans themselves are considered an undesirable caste in Romulan society and face a dreary existence of slavery in the dilithium mines and as front line military personnel in the worst battles. It was in battle where Shinzon proved his leadership abilities. He led Reman forces to victory in 12 major battles during the Dominion War.

It is not known how Shinzon convinced the Romulan fleet to support him. When the Romulan Senate rejected any alliance between Romulus and Remus, Shinzon arranged for the entire Senate to be assassinated and was named Praetor.

Shinzon arranged for the Enterprise and her captain to come to Romulus under the guise of peace talks. In fact, Shinzon was in desperate need for a blood transfusion or he would die. When the temporal sequencing in his DNA was not activated it caused his cell structure to start breaking down. There was only one person who had compatible DNA who could save him – Picard.

In the end it was Shinzon’s overwhelming need for revenge against all those he perceived as being responsible for his life that was his downfall.

03.jpg

SHINZON OF REMUS (TOM HARDY)

pdPHSTN0003.jpg

It is not known how Shinzon convinced the Romulan fleet to support him.  When the Romulan Senate rejected any alliance between Romulus and Remus, Shinzon arranged for the entire Senate to be assassinated and was named Praetor.

I'm betting Spock efforts at Reunification distracted the Senate (somehow) and allowed Shinzons coup succeed.

Do you guys hate Shinzon or do you feel sorry for him? I don't condone anything he did, but I think he was a victim from the moment he was born.

Do you guys hate Shinzon or do you feel sorry for him?  I don't condone anything he did, but I think he was a victim from the moment he was born.

I definitely loved the character. He was absolutely delicious!!!

I do agree that his life experience led him on the path he was on. I also believe though that it was within him to have chosen to take a different path. Anger, bitterness and revenge are very powerful and destructive.

shinzonfan, I hope you liked the spotlight. When I was trying to decide who to do first for my "new feature" I thought "hey shinzonfan would like this" :laugh: Don't you just love that top picture. Gives me shivers.

Do you guys hate Shinzon or do you feel sorry for him?  I don't condone anything he did, but I think he was a victim from the moment he was born.

I definitely loved the character. He was absolutely delicious!!!

I do agree that his life experience led him on the path he was on. I also believe though that it was within him to have chosen to take a different path. Anger, bitterness and revenge are very powerful and destructive.

shinzonfan, I hope you liked the spotlight. When I was trying to decide who to do first for my "new feature" I thought "hey shinzonfan would like this" :laugh: Don't you just love that top picture. Gives me shivers.

Thanks for thinking of me. You'll never get me to shut-up on this topic. :bow: That picture is awesome. He looks like how I feel in the morning when I have to get up to go to work. I'd much rather be here all day feeding into my obsession of Star Trek. If I ever have a house, I am going to devote a whole room to Star Trek and build a shrine to

Shinzon. :laugh: I know, too much information. Sorry, I just get carried away sometimes.

I believe it was in him to choose another path as well. I wish he would have so I could have hope of seeing him again. He is an excellent character. Do you think it would have been too corny to end the movie with Picard changing Shinzon's mind and they lived happily ever after...kind of thing?

Thanks for thinking of me.  You'll never get me to shut-up on this topic.  :laugh: That picture is awesome.  He looks like how I feel in the morning when I have to get up to go to work.  I'd much rather be here all day feeding into my obsession of Star Trek.  If I ever have a house, I am going to devote a whole room to Star Trek and build a shrine to

Shinzon. :laugh:    I know, too much information.  Sorry, I just get carried away sometimes.

I believe it was in him to choose another path as well.  I wish he would have so I could have hope of seeing him again.  He is an excellent character.  Do you think it would have been too corny to end the movie with Picard changing Shinzon's mind and they lived happily ever after...kind of thing?

Regarding your first comment, considering how many hours I was on the boards yesterday your wish sounds pretty normal to me. :bow:

Unfortunately I can't imagine how the story could have ended to have that outcome. It really is too bad that Shinzon was killed because I know Tom Hardy would have LOVED to play him again. However, we don't really know for sure whether Shinzon was the only clone of Picard the Romulans made. What if something had happened to Shinzon when he was younger, they might have cloned a back-up. Hmmmm.

However, we don't really know for sure whether Shinzon was the only clone of Picard the Romulans made.  What if something had happened to Shinzon when he was younger, they might have cloned a back-up.  Hmmmm.

I thought about that to. We can only hope. How do you know Tom would love to play Shinzon again? Was there an interview that I missed?

I'll look through some magazines I have but I can't remember if it was something I read or an interview I saw (possibly the Nemesis preview on Entertainment Tonight?) where Tom Hardy had said he had been "pestering" Rick Berman after filming about Shinzon not "really" being dead and that they could bring him back again. Unfortunately it won't be.

On the bright side, Tom Hardy has said he would like to do some conventions.

THere's always the whole nature vs nurture thing in situations like these, and you can see the differences and similarities in their personaity and behaviour when you're looking at the two of them (Picard and Shinzon) together. However, you can't blame it ONLY on nurture. I mean, Shinzon CHOSE that path, and he didnt have to. Technically, you could say the same about most murderers - it wasn;t their fault, it was the way they were raised, in which case how could you charge them if it wasn't their fault? But it's still wrong, and you can't just dissmiss it. The person wasn't brain washed, and they CHOSE to do what they did. I think that Shinzon was one of the most interesting and complex characters star trek has ever had created, especially with only, what, 2 hours of screen time, but I don't believe he was guiltless...JIMHO!!

Not sure if it's been touched on yet but

I assume that the Romulans Got Picard's DNA somehow when he was on Romulus in "Unification"

But That's Just me