Sign in to follow this  
Sairnath

Enterprise should change designations

It was my understanding that "NX" isnt a class. its a desigination "N" being for Nacelle (sp) and "X" being for Experimental. The Excelsior and Defiant were both "NX"s before being commisioned then they Changed over to "NCC". I can understand on the first 2 seasons and then the third with having to rush out to the Expanse why it was not changed. But with the Columbia being built It is no longer an Experiment. While in Drydock for Repairs and Retrofitting its should change to NCC- 01. course just my Opinion :laugh:

According to the histories, this should hold true. You're completely right. But Enterprise has decided in its run, to rewrite some of those histories, so who the heck knows, but I agree with you.

Edited by TC1

For all we know, maybe at this point in time NX is in fact a class! Remember, from Archer's standpoint, there are NO OTHER CLASSES of ships! They can't say, "Hey, in the future NX stands for experimental, so we can't call that the class of our ship now", because they don't KNOW the future.

So why then would NX mean "experimental" in the future? It could be an homage to the class of the first deep space experimental ship - the Enterprise NX-01!

See how simple that was!!!! Why don't people see that everything that "contradicts" other treks in Enterprise DOESN'T contradict. Put your mind to it!

IT IS ALL EXPLAINABLE! FROM THE BORG, TO THE FERENGI, TO THE EXPANSE NEVER BEING IN THE FUTURE, TO THE SULIBAN NEVER BEING SEEN, TO THE NX CLASS STUFF, TO ANYTHING ELSE! IT IS ALL EXPLAINABLE!!! OPEN YOUR MINDS!

From what I understand NX is the class. Not to mention that at the time that Enterprise is set in, Starfleet is still in it's infancy. They just haven't gotten around to better things yet.

Starfleet closely follows Navy on Earth. Starfleet maybe in its infancy in Enterprise, but it uses the traditions of the Navy. Most the US and British Navy.

Any vessel that has an X on it is known as experimental. NX is not a class, but as Sairnath just stated is a designation. Name of class of ship comes from the first ship that is built in that line. Since Enterprise is the first ship in the line the name of the class is Enterprise.

I have served aboard USS Harry S Truman (CVN 75). First let explain what it means. USS means United States Ship. The Harry S Truman is the name of the ship. CVN 75 designation which means Carrier Vessel Nuclear. The class of ship that the Truman is Nimiz Class Carrier. USS Nimiz (CVN 68) is the first carrier of the line and name of class comes from that ship.

I meant that NX was the class in Enterprise. As far as I know, they haven't given it another other class name. Of course, it could also be that all those ships of that basic design are experimental. A specific glass could very well have more than one experimental version, so more than one ship could have an NX designation until all the flaws are worked out.

Well, maybe.

Odie, you're talking about the rules that they go by in the 24th century. Who ever said they have to go by the same rules in the 22nd? Perhaps, the rules we all know for naming the class of ships in starfleet HAVEN'T BEEN INVENTED YET! Dang, read my above post again... and this time: READ IT!

Everyone's entitled to their own speclations, because until we hear it straight from the producers'/writers' mouths, that's all we have - speculation. Keep that in mind.

I personally call it the NX class, but that's just for simplicity's sake. I don't believe NX to be a class since we also saw the NX-A and NX-B, which were completely different ships. Until I hear otherwise, NX will still mean "Experimental" to me. Perhaps when the NX-02 is completed, we'll be given a better idea of what to call these things (though I doubt it; they will likely remain NX's throughout the show, or change to something other than NCC, to keep with continuity).

I did read your post. I am talking about rules naming, class, and designation of ships that are used in the United States Navy NOW not in the 24 century. Why re-invent the wheel when its already been invented? If you would be so kind read my post fully.

On the one hand i would say myself it's time to redesignate the Enterprise, and call each similar ship Enterprise class. But on the other hand, there have been several occasions in recent history that suggest they don't need to redesignate the ship and utilize it's name as the class name right now.

Look at the early X Planes for example, there were several times where more then 1 version was built and they never called the extras by the name of the first 1.

Both the idea to keep the designation as is and to change it are equally valid right now from what i can tell, so it's really up to the staff at Paramount to call this one.

Well, I guess the episode "Home" settles it. Captain Archer made a referrence to someone (last name was Jeffries... Hmm, 'Jeffries' Tube?) who help to "design the NX class," in Archer's words.

So it seems that the class of starship is, indeed, the NX.