Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Episode Spotlight - TNG

114001.jpg

When Data's creator, Dr. Noonien Soong, summons him to his lab on Terlina III to be fitted with a computer chip that will give him emotion, their reunion is disrupted by the unexpected arrival of Data's brother, Lore.

This episode was truly amazing not only for the outstanding performances of Brent Spiner playing Data, Lore and Dr. Soong but for the technical aspects of bringing that to life. Brothers was the first episode written by Executive Producer Rick Berman.

tng17701.jpg

Synopsis:

Aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise, a young boy's practical joke backfires and leaves his brother dangerously ill. Because the boy needs special treatment to survive, the ship rushes towards a nearby starbase. En route, Data begins to inexplicably malfunction, slipping into a trance-like state and altering the ship's course. He then severs the life support system on the Bridge, forcing the evacuation of the command crew, and leaving himself alone on the Bridge. He thwarts the crew's numerous efforts to regain control of the ship by speaking to the computer in Picard's voice and taking control of the U.S.S. Enterprise. The starship continues to follow his mysterious course, while the sick little boy's situation grows more desperate.

The out-of-control android maneuvers the ship toward his destination, evades three security teams by blocking them with force fields, and escapes. He arrives on a planet, and is greeted by Dr. Noonien Soong, the ancient doctor who created him. A confused Data asks Soong how he arrived on the doctor's planet. Soong explains that Data was summoned through a homing device, and ignores Data's anxious request to contact the U.S.S. Enterprise. Suddenly, a figure enters the room. It is Data's sinister brother, Lore, whom Data had defeated during a fight aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise two years earlier.

When Soong deactivates Lore to examine him, Data requests that his evil brother not be restored to life. Soong reassembles the android anyway, and explains that the homing device that summoned Data had the same effect on Lore. In an explosive outburst, Lore rails at Soong for creating Data instead of working to improve him. An apologetic Soong explains that if he had known Lore was still functional, he would have worked to correct the programming that caused him to be evil. However, his recent efforts have been to create a chip that will allow Data to feel emotion. Soong then explains that he is dying, and that this will be his final project. Lore is upset by the news and offers to help, but Soong says he only needs to rest before he begins working on Data.

Upon completing the implant, Soong learns that he has inserted the chip in Lore, who deactivated his brother while the scientist was asleep. When Soong tries to convince Lore to surrender the chip, he attacks his creator, flinging him across the room, then escaping. Meanwhile, the Enterprise crew has found a way to follow Data, and an Away Team soon reaches Soong's planet to rescue the errant android. The scientist refuses their offer to leave with them, and Data says goodbye to his creator. The starship resumes its course for Starbase 416, where the sick boy is treated and saved. The boy then reconciles with his brother, leaving Data to ponder the special bond between siblings.

Synoposis from startrek.com

Every time i see this episode, i think of Spiner's cute comment that it gave him the oppertunity to work with his favorite actor...himself! :laugh:

It was a great one. Lore was wonderful with his usual smirks!

The technical aspects of this episode were amazing. Here are some excerpts from the TNG Companion regarding that:

Michael Pillar recalled that (Rob) Bowman, (Robert) Legato and (Brent) Spiner worked on the elaborate Stage 16 lab set for three days before shooting began, taping off the floor and blocking out the action for camera moves, as if they were preparing a stage play or a multi-camera tv show....

"It was difficult," Spiner recalls, "because I had to hear dialogue that I hadn't read yet coming out of somebody else's mouth before I would get to it. [i had] to remember where I was when I was Data, and so on." To help him, the set was closed during the two and a half days when Spiner soloed."

Not to belittle this episode cause your right, it is amazing but imo TNG revolutionized the industries technology for doing this kind of effect with the episode Time Squared. NEVER before had I seen one actor portraying two people on the screen at the same time in such a realistic way, I remember thinking I was seeing history made. Brothers did take the new method of doing the effect to the nth degree with an actor being 3 people at the same time, (a feat still unmatched in the TV business, right?) it was unbelievable, the way they caused Spiner to cross in front of him self and his performance as the three Soongs should have garnered him an award!

I agree, Brent SHOULD have gotten at least a NOMINATION for Brothers.... and I think that you are right in saying that .....

Brothers did take the new method of doing the effect to the nth degree with an actor being 3 people at the same time, (a feat still unmatched in the TV business, right?)

I missed the TV Trailer for the Episode, so when I first saw it, I was blown away. It was awsome...and when Lore walked in..Oh-My-God....my jaw dropped...

The Way they were able to fit 3 Different Scenes with Brent into One where they all 3 interacted was Brilliant.

'Course, when the Epsidoe Starts...we had no clue what was going on....Since Soong and Lore aren't mentioned as Guest Characters :laugh:

i think of Spiner's cute comment that it gave him the oppertunity to work with his favorite actor...himself!

LOL

Yeah I remember him saying that on the TNG’s behind the scenes.

Of course it shows how good of an actor he really is. He’s pretty amazing when you think about this episode and how good his performance was. And like has been stated TNG really did revolutionize the industry in production of episodes/movies like this one.

“Brothers forgive”

You know, one of the great things about ST (especially TNG) is that they really teach lessons because ST is truly about the human adventure. That’s what Gene made - a human adventure. And one of the things that this episode showed data and one of the things that was mentioned to him a couple of times on the episode that “brothers forgive” - that people them self forgive and forget. You always hear a lot of times that younger children have it right (or at least most of them) because they forgive and forget pretty quickly. One minute they are playing and laughing. The next minute they are crying and fighting. And then next minute they are playing and laughing again . . . . . . . . Of course this is slightly off of the topic of the general view of this episode, but it shows that family members usually forgive each other and so on.

I remember on one episode of TNG Data was asked “Do you know what desire is . . .. ?” His response in the long run was no, but he does have desires. Maybe not how we might, but his desire of emotions most certainly qualifies for something . . .

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I agree, it's ridiculous! I bet it's just because it was "trek" which is not "cool"...

You have a point there dsbs...I think it DOES have someting to do with the words Star Trek being in the title which made it so they didn't even allow a nomination. I mean Trek has gotten nominations and awards but never for anything more than technical or makeup...Trek is SOO much more than just Effects and makeup, for the most part, the acting is Brilliant(IMO, especially Brent!!)!

I agree, it's ridiculous! I bet it's just because it was "trek" which is not "cool"...

You have a point there dsbs...I think it DOES have someting to do with the words Star Trek being in the title which made it so they didn't even allow a nomination. I mean Trek has gotten nominations and awards but never for anything more than technical or makeup...Trek is SOO much more than just Effects and makeup, for the most part, the acting is Brilliant(IMO, especially Brent!!)!

Well that’s true and in fact that was addressed in the behind the scenes of TNG before. To quote Berman “We are use to it” and his general explanation is that some people consider it silly. But TNG’s last season was nominated for drama (so we have something at least)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Brothers is one of my favourite episodes - top 3 anyway. As amazing as it was it still had the perfectly placed humour in it too. One of my favourite lines was in Engineering when Picard wants to know where they are and Riker says "the only way we knew we'd come out of warp was from looking out a window" Classic, classic episode.

I kind of liked Lore's mocking Data "I am not less perfect then Lore!" the expression on his face! Great!

But i agree with master q, i also think Data desires family like everyone else usunally has, But Lore sure was hard to love or even feel friendship for.

I kind of liked Lore's mocking Data "I am not less perfect then Lore!" the expression on his face! Great!

But i agree with master q, i also think Data desires family like everyone else usunally has, But Lore sure was hard to love or even feel friendship for.

Oh, I agree with that, Lessa!