Sign in to follow this  
Shrek

Summer Olympics 2004

:dude: Phelps lost to Thorpe

It wasn't that much of a surprise. This year. the U.s. team is just acting like bigshots. They're just being jerks...

they kind of deserve it... :dude:

Edited by WEAREBORG4102

If the US teams are acting like they have some chips on their shoulders imo they're justified: being told not to show any Pride in their country has gotta be a bit of a prick to their souls. The rule has given everyone else (judges included) a reason to sneer and spit whenever an American shows the least little hint of pride.

I really enjoy cycling and judo. There aren't too many surprises there, however. Japan leads the overal medal count in Judo, and Bettini took the gold in the men's road race. Ullrich seems tired.

Just saw the American women obliterate the world record in the 800 free relay. That was a great race, and shows why the swimming has been the best this year. It's a shame it's ending this week, but I guess we have more Track and Diving to look foward to in the second week.

I havn't seen the americans act like big-shots. The swimming rivalrys have been the best probably ever.

If the US teams are acting like they have some chips on their shoulders imo they're justified: being told not to show any Pride in their country has gotta be a bit of a prick to their souls. The rule has given everyone else (judges included) a reason to sneer and spit whenever an American shows the least little hint of pride.

251912[/snapback]

Yeah, I was under the impression that the Olympics were supposed to be NON-political, but each athlete could take pride in their country. Riiight. :clap: Looks like the terrorists got the gold medal for "keep the Americans subdued". Is it my imagination, or did some of the US athletes get kinda low scores for routines that looked good?

Aside from that, I enjoy watching the competition.

OMG!!! Olympic spoiler -

Click For Spoiler
Paul Hamm just won the Gold medal in gymnastics!!!

Is it my imagination, or did some of the US athletes get kinda low scores for routines that looked good?

OMG!!! Olympic spoiler -[/size][/color][/font]

Click For Spoiler
Paul Hamm just won the Gold medal in gymnastics!!!

252786[/snapback]

No it is not particularly your imagination. The scores were a bit out of proportion for the routines done. Several of the Romanian & Russian scores were actually a few tenths higher than they should have been. After five years as a gymnastics coach(as well as 20 years as an athlete), I still tend to critique & judge routines. A few that were receiving 9.5 through 9.7 really should have been more like 9.25 to maybe 9.40, possibly 9.50. So no not really just imagination....the scores were a bit off.

The US scores were actually almost on track.. they did have mistakes, maybe not noticeable to a lot of people but they were there.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

251912[/snapback]

Yeah, I was under the impression that the Olympics were supposed to be NON-political, but each athlete could take pride in their country. Riiight. :hammer: Looks like the terrorists got the gold medal for "keep the Americans subdued". Is it my imagination, or did some of the US athletes get kinda low scores for routines that looked good?

OMG!!! Olympic spoiler -

Click For Spoiler

252786[/snapback]

What burned my buttocks was that the judges forced the American gymnasts (men) to change their routine with only 3 days notice and NO REASON WHY was given that I heard of... And that bike race on day one; so obviously fixed in favor of the favorite to win. :laugh: Theres more but I'll shut-up now.

These were the first Summer games I'd ever watched and I'm soooo sorry I did, my spirit for the Olys is seriously damaged.

What burned my buttocks was that the judges forced the American gymnasts (men) to change their routine with only 3 days notice and NO REASON WHY was given that I heard of..

There was a pretty annoying reason given actually..

They both had a move taht was worth a certain value point in their routines (which they took at worlds), but according to the judge the skill was no longer worth as much and if they desired to be close to a 10.0 start value that they needed to change the skill.

There is a long standing rule that was at my gym..I learned it when I was first starting out...and it was a rule I had passed on to my students. "You may NOT make changes on your routines the week leading up to a competion, unless it is to omit a skill, improve the quality(read as: practice it a lot) of the skill or change to a less difficult skill" Safety was always the main focus, even more than it was to get a high start value. I would not be surprised that this type of rule is the case at most gyms throughout the world.

They should have taken the lower start value, IMO because the mistakes that were made in the routines(esp. Blaine Wilson's fall) added up to more of a deduction and thus lower scores than if they had left the routines as is and did them extremely well. What that judge did was incredibly out of line, and personally I really question the rest of the committee for allowing him to do such a thing. A rule that is passed must be ok'd by the entire panel of judges and finalized by the designated head judge of that competition. Most importantly, they should have made that announcement prior to the games beginning as in at least a week or two in advance...giving the athletes at least mediocrely fair time to safely change their routines. Actually, the skill value change should have gone into effect immediately after Worlds and an announcement should have been made to all participating Sports Unions/Associations. There are violations all around in this situation....I hate being suspicious about stuff, but this really is quite fishy.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

WHO SAW PAUL HAMM??? THAT WAS AWESOME!!!

253099[/snapback]

I did, as well as I saw Carly Patterson win the women's all around :dude:

WHO SAW PAUL HAMM??? THAT WAS AWESOME!!!

253099[/snapback]

I did as well. One of the greatest moments in the olympics I have ever seen.

The Aaron Piersol fiasco was quite apalling. The video showed no evidence of any illegal kicks/strokes/techniques. I mean, 2 body lengths is not a dolphin kick. Even the guy in second place debated the disqualification.

Edited by WEAREBORG4102

The Aaron Piersol fiasco was quite apalling. The video showed no evidence of any illegal kicks/strokes/techniques. I mean, 2 body lengths is not a dolphin kick. Even the guy in second place debated the disqualification.

253777[/snapback]

I do not have the link, but one report mentioned that the man who was judging had not judged in a few years. And a few years ago, the way Piersol turned would have been more than likely been counted as illegal, and grounds for disqualification. Why he was allowed to judge and not be up to date on the rules I will never know....

I have been watching and enjoying what I have seen but it does seem that the judges don't have a clue or something is up and now it seems that the judges messed up on the scoreing of the men all around. I am glad that they are not blaming the athleats. It is strange that most of the time I hate sports but when the games come on winter or summer I watch.

I have been watching and enjoying what I have seen but it does seem that the judges don't have a clue or something is up and now it seems that the judges messed up on the scoreing of the men all around.  I am glad that they are not blaming the athleats.  It is strange that most of the time I hate sports but when the games come on winter or summer I watch.

254953[/snapback]

Sad thing is not too long after the incident in the men's all around, there have been a few other incidences of faulty judging springing up.

According to the news article I read earlier, plus I think they mentioned it during one of the broadcasts... they ended up suspending three of the judges after not only their mistake in the all around concerning Paul Hamm, but one claims he was pressured heavily by the crowd to change Alexei Nemov (of Russia)'s score to one that was a bit higher. He said they all began booing so much that he had to do something to make them stop.

I have been watching and enjoying what I have seen but it does seem that the judges don't have a clue or something is up and now it seems that the judges messed up on the scoreing of the men all around.  I am glad that they are not blaming the athleats.  It is strange that most of the time I hate sports but when the games come on winter or summer I watch.

254953[/snapback]

Sad thing is not too long after the incident in the men's all around, there have been a few other incidences of faulty judging springing up.

According to the news article I read earlier, plus I think they mentioned it during one of the broadcasts... they ended up suspending three of the judges after not only their mistake in the all around concerning Paul Hamm, but one claims he was pressured heavily by the crowd to change Alexei Nemov (of Russia)'s score to one that was a bit higher. He said they all began booing so much that he had to do something to make them stop.

256381[/snapback]

What they should do (If Homn likes it or not) is have a shared gold medal. It worked well with that Canadian figure skating pair and the Russians in 2002. One would think the judges should be competent about what they are doing. It's a travesty they aren't.

I saw that part with the crowd booing. They booed for like a good 10 min. Even the comentaters could not understand why the judge rated him so low. It took the the Russian coming on to the stage to get the crowd to calm down and the sad part of it all even though they did raise the score it was still to low to give him a medal. With poor paul hamm he was to go next so he had to wait and then he got a really high score. I don't know if this would be bad or good but give the judges a tv viewer so they can can watch in slow mo or at different angles so they would not have to judge on just the live show. I know it sounds that then they would be to picky but then they could think about the preformance and not have to use their memory.

I saw that part with the crowd booing.  They booed for like a good 10 min.  Even the comentaters could not understand why the judge rated him so low.  It took the the Russian coming on to the stage to get the crowd to calm down and the sad part of it all even though they did raise the score it was still to low to give him a medal.  With poor paul hamm he was to go next so he had to wait and then he got a really high score.  I don't know if this would be bad or good but give the judges a tv viewer so they can can watch in slow mo or at different angles so they would not have to judge on just the live show.  I know it sounds that then they would be to picky but then they could think about the preformance and not have to use their memory.

256503[/snapback]

Sometimes it seems like a good thing to have an ability to review the routine in slo-mo...but most times I would think that the gymnasts would rather slo-mo not make an appearance.

If a judge can pick apart a routine at regular speed....oh, boy! You do NOT want to see the scores if they were to have slo mo. The top scores of the athletes might be in the range of 9.20 to 9.30, with a rare 9.50. Even the Romanians...they most certainly would NOT have been the women's team gold medalists, had the judges had a chance to review it in slow motion.

Judges goof up, more often than most people realize...and not just in gymnastics or figure skating. And it is definately not just the highest level of the sports.

Case in point...

I was in a competition.. A level 8 gymnasts' routine has a start value of 10.0 automatically(because we cannot do skills for bonus points), and level 9's have a start value of 9.8. THe floor judge goofed because she had marked me as a level 9, instead of 8...and thus my score was 0.20 points lower than it should have been. She did the proper thing of making the change and reporting it so the final results would reflect that I was indeed level 8 instead of 9 (so you know, the women's gymnastics you see on TV is Level 10/Elite).

By the time of the awards ceremony, everything was OK. But the change changed my placement in BOTH the floor exercise final and the all around final results. And the final thing she did was notify not only my coach of the mistake...but came onto the floor, introduced herself and notified me of the mistake she made along with apologizing.