Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Rick Berman revealed that next season

Rick Berman revealed that next season . . .

Rick Berman revealed that next season will see Enterprise take on an entirely new mission after an alien attack devastates North America.

In a TV Guide interview scheduled for publication in the May 10 issue, Berman said, "What we are about to do is a first for Star Trek...there has never been a Trek series built around a specific mission and specific stakes."

In the case of Enterprise, in the May 21 season finale, "The Expanse", the mysterious Xindi send a probe to Earth that devastates everything between Florida and Venezuela. The Xindi have obtained information that Earth will destroy their home world centuries in the future, and have decided to strike first.

"In the past, our captains have had the general mission to explore outer space," noted Berman. But on Enterprise, the future of mankind may rest with NX-01 crew: "It's up to Captain Archer to go there and stop them from destroying us altogether."

As previously reported, Enterprise (which will be "retrofitted for war"), is set to head into a dangerous area of space known as the Delphic Expanse to track down the Xindi. According to the magazine, voyagers who enter this area of space "meet a shocking and grisly fate": "Their bodies become anatomically inverted (skin on the inside, organs on the outside), yet they somehow remain alive."

TV Guide also reports on several other developments for next season, ranging from the first use of photon torpedoes in Starfleet history to a new outfit and hairdo for T'Pol.

The issue, which features Smallville stars Tom Welling and Kristin Kreuk on the cover, will be on newsstands May 5.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/010503_03.shtml

How do you feel about this "entirely new mission " turn?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Bermans doing what he does best...making us want to watch his show by letting out little facts..that "different" mission could just be a two epoisde story, it's all about getting buts in the seats.

It might get more buts in the seats but just now, rereading the story, a wave of fearful nausea washed over me at the thought of what this change could do to the series, which was beginning to hit an excellent stride. I hope it is not a mistake and the crybabies have not ended up ruining a good thing.

Hmmm...let's see, they're developing an new "mytharc", probably sprinkled with alien of the week shows. Do I detect the insidious influence of John Shiban? Somewhere CC's got to be cackling behind his surfboard.

Actually I really like all the episodes that John has written, especially Minefield. I don't want Enterprise to turn into The X-Files, but I want something I can sink my teeth and brains into.

That's why I loved Cogenitor so much. It was writen for adults. I want to see the struggle that humanity goes thru to get from here to the more enlightened society of TNG and even TOS. If we are trying to create our future out of our own minds and hearts, then let's do it right. And that's not going to be an easy path. There's gonna be times when its wrenching. Trip certainly lost his innocence Wednesday night, and I think it's probably the most controversial episode ever produced. I'm ready. Let's ask the hard questions.

Orrrrrrrrrr...maybe I'm just an angst junkie. <eg>

There will still be the funny episodes. During times of great struggle it's good to laugh.

The show is almost there, I can feel it. I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that I think Enterprise is headed for greatness.

Later,

thayln

"...an unseen something fleets by so swiftly an observer would probably never perceive her at all. A flicker, a shimmer, a passing thought in the endless silent ruminations of the universe, the USS Enterprise cruises through on patrol." Diane Duane, The Wonded Sky

Sign in to follow this