Sign in to follow this  
ussacclaim

Ensing Ro

I guess this might belong in the Bajoran embassy but since this was in a TNG episode I'll post it here:

I can't remember how Bajorans say their names whhen they are addressed. Ro explained it in the episode and I can't remember so can somebody help me out?

It had something to do with not being called Ensign Laren

Ro is her surname and Laren is her given name. Family name is given before the given name. It is the same as the Asians.

Yeah, it's almost like that in the military too. It was highly unusual for someone to call you by your first name. If someone did call you by your first name it meant that they were a close personal friend. If someone that wasn't a close personal friend called you by your first name it seemed a bit awkward and a breech of protocol.

Even when I got out of the Army and was back home and in civilian life for a few years this held true. I was working in a hardware store when one of the Customers came up to me and said "Rich!" I looked and it was my sergeant from Fort Hood. He had gotten out of the Army and retired and moved to Virginia Beach. I of course called him "Sgt Owens" and he said "Rich, call me Kenneth or K.O. but I'm not Sgt. Owens anymore". My response to him was, "Sgt Owens, you will always be Sgt. Owens to me. To call you Kenneth would seem disrespectful".

Of course what he hadn't realized was that he was doing the same to me by calling me Rich and not Kevin.

Ro is her surname and Laren is her given name.  Family name is given before the given name.  It is the same as the Asians.

Exactly...

Thank you...

It would techinally be my surname and then my given name which is either one or two characters...