Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Captain David M. May

dc-32.jpg

With Memorial Day weekend almost over I thought I'd share a story of a personal loss for my family that many of you may already have heard of.

My mother's cousin (My sister's Godfather) was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam and was shot down over Laos on February 20, 1971. The crew was never recovered and no deaths were recorded. He was listed as MIA (Missing in Action). In 1999 the remains of 4 service members were returned to the United States and were identified. 2 of the men identified were CW2 Jon Eric (Jake) Reid, Captain David M. May. Their remains were buried at Arlington National Cemetery on January 14, 2000. Captain David M. May was my mother's cousin. His parents were my Godparents and though I am too young to remember him (I was 2 when he was shot down) I have thought about his loss many times over the course of my life. In the photo above, David is the one on the right.

dc-09.jpg

dc-29.jpg

All photo's and quoted text are from http://www.raydon.com/48ahc/html/Arlington2000.htm

CW2 Jon Eric (Jake) Reid, Captain David M. May, SFC Randolph L. Johnson, and SSG Robert J. Acalotto were listed as Missing in Action (MIA) when their Huey gunship (UH-1C-66-00700) was shot down by anti-aircraft fire on Feb. 20, 1971 in Savannakhet Province, Laos during the operation known as Lam Son 719.

The remains of CW2 Jon Eric (Jake) Reid, and Captain David M. May were recovered from the crash site in October 1999.

SFC Randolph L. Johnson (Crew Chief) and SSG Robert J. Acalotto (Door Gunner) are still listed as Missing in Action.

CW2 Jon Eric (Jake) Reid, and Captain David M. May were given a military funeral service and burial at Arlington National Cemetery on January 14, 2000.

The day was clear, but bitterly cold. Most the Bluestars and family members gathered at the Days Inn and caravaned to the Old Chapel. As the time for the church services neared the crowd swelled.

Major General Cody, Major General Putnam (Ret.), Colonel Mar (17th Group) and many other former commanders arrived.

The church was probably two-thirds full when the service started with the Reid Family on the left side of the church, the May family on the right, and Bluestars everywhere. (picture & narrative by Ken Bording)

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «